1998 Jimmy coolant leak

My 1998 GMC has a coolant leak somewhere that appears to be on the front of the engine. Living in Michigan and no garage its hard to see where it is. I
will tear it apart and see if I can find where its leaking. I was just wondering if anyone has had or are these prone to leaks in this area. Maybe some information can save me time in the cold looking for it.
Thanks
"Tim or Linda" wrote

of
Maybe
It will either be the water pump, intake gasket, or it might even be something as simple as the t/stat gasket. You should be able to see the t/stat quite easily and rule it out. Intake is hard to see as the aluminum brackets that bolt to the front of the engine cover up most of the head to intake intersections. Water pump will be obvious if you can see coolant coming from the vent hole on the bottom side of the water pump. Or you can reach under the water pump and see if you get any coolant on your fingers (engine "not" running, of course)
Ian
Glad you said engine not running LOL. Do you think I should try leak stop for just go for tearing it apart.

is.
I wouldn't advise anyone using stop leak on any cooling system.. Stop Leak products generally narrow (already small) passages in the engine, radiator, and pipes, so the system doesn't cool as effectively as it could. Also, the compound can break apart in chunks, and block passageways completely, causing overheating problems, I've also seen the stuff get wedged into the thermostat, so it wasn't able to properly close, making for a REALLY long warm up time in the winter..
message

front
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.netremovettforreply says...

Check between the valve cover and the lower intake at the front of the engine, driver side. The lower intake gaskets seem to deteriorate there.
It has some liquid just under the T Stat housing but that does on appear to be where its coming from. Its also wet behind the AC unit but that all I can see till I tear it apart
says...

of
is. I

Maybe
"Tim or Linda" wrote

can
That "sounds" like it will end up being the intake gasket. As Bonneville mentioned, the intake gaskets seem to like to leak at the drivers side front, and passenger side rear.
Ian
and that sounds like a hard fix for a driveway in the cold