2001 Buick Century radio problem

Hi, my mom bought a 2001 Buck Century (Custom?) this summer and it's been OK so far except that my niece did something to the radio and it appears to be stuck in tape player mode. It has power, there is no
TheftLock, and there are no radio or CD functions. She even put a CD in to try to get it to work and now it's stuck in the radio! I pulled the fuse and tried to let it reset, but it didn't work.
Does anyone know what could be the problem?
This radio is tied into the engine and airbag modules, so I think an after-market radio is not an option...but I don't know for sure yet.