2002 Cavalier dask problem

Jumped in my 2002 Cavalier this morning and no dash functions. No odometer, tach, warning lights (except the check engine lamp) work. Where so I start? The engine starts and runs fine. Radio works, clock (in radio) works, wipers work??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Start by checking for a blown fuse...

Reply to
Woody

Totally agree with Woody. You likley blew the Cluster fuse.

Reply to
80 Knight

Fuse is good. I have no tach, speedometer, temp or gas gauge. No warning lights except Check Engine and Theft. What's common?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Did you check all the fuses or just the Cluster one? The last time I shorted out my cluster, the Cluster fuse was fine and it was another fuse down there that was actually blown. Took me awhile to find it too. Best thing is to use a fuse checker, as opposed to yanking them all out.

Reply to
80 Knight

According to the schematic there are two fuses supplying the instrument panel cluster on your machine. One is labeled CLSTR (10 amp) and the other one is labeled BCM/CLU (10 amp).

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Wish I could see that schematic:) All fuses in the side panel and under the hood are good. Checked both sides with a meter, key on. 12 volts both sides of all fuses. I'm not able to "logic out" what would be common. The tach should come from the engine control module, would the odometer and speedometer come from there too? What about the warning lamps, oil pressure, alternator and so on? Do they have a common power source? BTW: The dash illumination lamps work.

I'm starting to get the idea some Pack Rats got into something. I looked everywhere under the hood, and no sign of them???

Thanks for helping,

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The schematic shows that the powertrain control module operates your indicating lamps via the class 2 serial data link. The fact that your check engine light illuminates tells me that all the indicators have power to them. The check engine light gets power from the same source as the other indicators but is separately turned on/off by the engine control circuitry. The PCM might be cause of your problem or possibly loose serial data connections at the cluster.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Found a wiring diagram. The dash is serial. Has two serial circuits with a decoder in the dash. The data comes from the ECM and goes through the body control module and on to the dash. I have a feeling this is not going to be fun.

Al

Reply to
Big Al