3.1 Liter reassembly ignition problems

I just finished replacing the lower intake manifild gasket on my 95 Monte Carlo

3.1 liter. I reassembled the engine, and then the entire ignition system with correct order, etc with regard to coil and plug wire placement. Now car just turns over and over, won't fire. Ran fine before teardown and I took care to document each connector - not one is left out. Only thing not full assembled is air box for filter, but I did plug in the sensor and it is sitting in respective place. Haven't tried starter fluid or ohming it out...any word from the wise? Thanks!
Reply to
TransAm 84

Carlo 3.1 liter. I reassembled the engine, and then the entire ignition system with correct order, etc with regard to coil and plug wire placement. Now car just turns over and over, won't fire. Ran fine before teardown and I took care to document each connector - not one is left out. Only thing not full assembled is air box for filter, but I did plug in the sensor and it is sitting in respective place. Haven't tried starter fluid or ohming it out...any word from the wise? Thanks!

Did you pull your plugs to see if they are fouled by coolant? Also what brand are they?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Check your fuses and wiring connections to the coil pack... there is a sensor that sits behind your damper(Main flywheel)that controls spark it may be that but i would first check the fuses connections and also determine if power is even going to the coil pack with a test light.

Reply to
kevinmisty

Check your fuses...also determine if the coil pack is getting power by using a test light

Reply to
kevinmisty

"TransAm 84" wrote

Carlo 3.1 liter. I reassembled the engine, and then the entire ignition system with correct order, etc with regard to coil and plug wire placement. Now car just turns over and over, won't fire. Ran fine before teardown and I took care to document each connector - not one is left out. Only thing not full assembled is air box for filter, but I did plug in the sensor and it is sitting in respective place. Haven't tried starter fluid or ohming it out...any word from the wise? Thanks!

How many pushrods did you have to remove to be able to install the intake gasket. All of them, or just half? If it was all of them.....and you managed to get them back in correctly, (long ones on the exhaust valves, short ones on the intake valves).....you may simply need to keep cranking it. Often, after doing these repairs, the engine appears to have no compression and wont start initially. Just crank it for 10 seconds, then leave it for a minute. Then crank it again and see if it begins to sound like it wants to fire. Keep doing this for a bit. If it eventually starts to run.....but runs poorly, just keep it revved up enought to stay running....it will eventually sort itself out.

Hopefully you haven't torn back into it before trying this. I do tons of these intakes and about 50-60 percent of them exhibit this behaviour when starting them up after the repair. Now I just ignore it and keep cranking.

Of course, this assumes that you "did" get the pushrods in right, and that you "didn't" forget something else like one of the connectors at the coil packs (there are three).

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Great Information. I took care on the pushrods, they are good to go. However, there is one spot on the coil pack that is not hooked up. My friend and I didn't remember it being an empty spot, but we couldn't find an extra connector. We thought maybe it was the tachometer hookup for the z-34 version...my Trans Am has a seperate hookup for that....maybe we ran the harness and the connector is underneath the coil pack. As you look from the top of the engine down with belts to the left there is one connector on the left and two on the right?

Reply to
TransAm 84

"TransAm 84" wrote

However, there is one spot on the coil pack that is not hooked up. My friend and I didn't remember it being an empty spot, but we couldn't find an extra connector. We thought maybe it was the tachometer hookup for the z-34 version...my Trans Am has a seperate hookup for that....maybe we ran the harness and the connector is underneath the coil pack. As you look from the top of the engine down with belts to the left there is one connector on the left and two on the right?

That's right, all three of them need a connector or it won't start. Just have another look around.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

outstanding! Thanks to everyone who helped with this problem. I found the missing coil wire and in doing the thorough check-out of every connector wire I found the coolant temp connector was not seated. The care started up on the first turn of the key. The CHeck-Engine light was on but nothing seemed to be the matter. BUT...after running about 15 minutes it started to run a little rough...then it started to sputter and quit. It would start right up and then do it again. Temperature is fine, no oil leaks, all looks good. My friend and I decided to go ahead and disconnect the battery for a minute and let the car reset all of the firing circuits, etc. I'll start it up and drive it to work and get the oil changed today. Hopefully the Check-Engine will go away and the car will run smoothly.

Reply to
TransAm 84