Buick 3.1 liter changing spark plugs

Hi all I have a 94 buick century with a v6 3.1 liter motor. I want to change the spark plugs and there isnt much room. I understand that there is a tool that you can use in place of the upper motor mounts and basically twist the motor to access the back three plugs. I was planning on making the tool or buying it however I'm not sure how far the motor can twist. I dont want to damage anything. Any input would be helpful.

Pete

Reply to
conan

It's simple. (I own 2 3.1 vehicles.)Remove the two dogbone looking mounts on the top front of the engine. Use a 2 by 4 to pry the engine forward. It will move quite a ways. Jam the 2 by 4 between the engine and firewall in a spot that lets you get to the back plugs. Remove and replace one at a time, as it's a PITA to figure which wire goes to which plug, as the wires run in a harness from the front of the engine.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I remove the mounts and run a ratchet strap to the engine and to a hole behind the pass. headlight. Either way you do it, put it in neutral so the engine will rock further.

Reply to
corning_d3

Skip the 2x4 and use something else, instead. Set the e-brake or chock the wheels so you can put the tranny in neutral. The bracket on my Lumina had a second position higher up from the main one that would allow you to temporarily faster the dog bone with the engine in the rolled position; not sure about the buick.

Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

[...]

What? You don't know how to use a board?

Reply to
B.B.