'81 Pontiac Hard Starting

Hello Folks. '81 Pontiac Parisienne (Catalina) 305 ci, 5.0 l, H code V8, no computer. 4 bbl. Rochester, elec. choke 100k kms.
-- Hard starting -- Spark checks ok.
Choke operating ok, unloader also. Fuel pump + filter replaced. Battery charged + starter works fine.
Once eventually running smoothly, runs good, but struggles to fire + evenly run with cold engine. Once warmed up, does highway speed + OK. I suspect carb .. any ideas? Please reply to NG. -Thanks, JS

Checked your compression?

I would suspect the carburetor as well.
As PeterD suggested, you might check your compression, and also check your timing, both static (initial) and while running. ( I would assume, but have not checked, that this is a distributor/ points ignition setup)

No points after '74. A weak coil could also be the culprit. It takes more voltage to start an engine than to keep one running.
Dave

A lot of coils have been implicated but I have seldom had problems with them. In the older systems (again, I dont know when they left off), starting voltage and current were increased to the coil and this was diminished once the Start system switched to Run.
The resistor that accomplished the current drop occasionally failed but not often.
wrote in message >

Sure ya do, I just told you. :)
starting voltage and current were increased to the coil

I've replaced several coils, especially HEI coils, like he has.

I have replaced some of the GM HEI coils that were burned across the bottom.
Looking back, I have never replaced a coil in one of my cars.