89 GMC Safari Name That Wire (0/1)

1989 GMC Safari 4.3L V6

I had my Safari parked idle for about a month. It was in perfect running condition when parked. When I started it, it would barely run and the "check engine" light was on. I tried to check codes by jumping A and B under the dash and only recieved code 12. Normal. I saw that mice had chewed through 2 spark plug wires and the coil wire. I replaced them, but found the wire in attached photo chewed through and could not find where this wire goes. It is missing! It is a grey wire that is the ONLY wire external and pulled back and taped to a wire bundle under the hood behind the accumulator just before connector PED

  1. I would appreciate if you could tell where this wire connects or send me pictures to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Barry

Reply to
Barry Minchey

Man those are some voracious mice you've got there Barry. I've never seen mice eat a hunk out and take it away with them.

How is the vehicle running at this time, since replacing the plug wires and coil wires? You might want to check a Chilton's manual for the wiring diagram to see where the grey wire goes. Most local libraries carry Chilton's or a like manual. I've never had any luck finding free on-line wiring diagrams, but your mileage may vary. Alldata.com is a really good resource. It costs $25 per year, but if you do your own work, you can save that much with just one repair, and for some of the harder things to get ahold of (like wiring diagrams), it's really worth the price.

I do know that a grey wire is used for the intermittent windshield wipers, but I'm not sure if that's what your grey wire is. You might want to check the operation of the wipers in all modes. That's something of a stretch though, because other circuits use grey as well (fuel pump for one, although that is typically a smaller gauge).

BTW - you would be better off next time, to post a link to your pictures rather than post them to a text group.

Reply to
Mike Marlow