91 lumina euro wierd problem

the ehhaust on my car turns cherry red after 2 min of running it has a new cattalic converter and it still does it. what is my problem? please help

Does it spark knock real bad too. Sounds as though it is running very lean. Timing advanced to far? Not getting enough fuel?

-
exhaust was pluged and maybe running too lean thanks for the help
so i thought i figured it out but i didnt it still turns glowing red. i looked at the engine and it has a coil pack so im not sure how to set the timing or chech to see if its running to lean please help