94 Buick LeSabre misfires, error 300

Page 1 of 2
My 94 Buick LeSabre misfires almost constantly on cylinder 6, but it also misfires a lot on 5 and some on 3. I get only error 300.
I have the Actron ScanTool that tells me what the car is doing and during
the same space in time 1,2,3 and 4 is firing while 6 is not. Sometimes 5 and 6 are not firing or, less often, 3 doesn't fire.
Also, if I connect a timing light to each spark plug wire while the engine is running I see how often the strobe light doesn't flash. 6 is the worst, then 5, number 2 I thing does it less or almost never.
The misfiring happens randomly.
The Crankshaft sensor was replaced 30,000 or 40000 miles ago. Do you think it could be the Ignition Module?
Antonio
How about looking at the plugs, check the wires maybe with an ohmeter, if all is ok there suspect a coil.

-
I replaced the spark plugs and wires and it does the same thing.
Are 5/6 paired on the same coil, try switching coils, if there are the individual type and see if the miss moves.

-
I have new information on my 94 LeSabre. I replaced the wires and spark plugs. I also replaced the Ignition Module and Coils with ones from another LeSabre that works fine. I switched the injector 4 and 6 with the 1 and 3. Fuel pressure is normal. The same cylinders as before keep misfireing. In my other message I said the worse two where 5 and 6 but I should have said 4 and 6. In any case 4 and 6 were the worst and they still are. 6 misfires almost every single time. Any idea what may be causing this?
Antonio
If you have confirmed that these are definitely the cylinders missing, then try a power balance test or a compression/leak down test to make sure this is not a mechanical problem. Some scanners will do a power balance test by killing the cylinders and comparing rpm drops. This would show whether the suspect cylinder was making comparable sealed compression compared to the others.

-
I did check compression and the highest was 170 psi and the lowest was 135 psi. From 1 to 6 the compression was: 150, 170, 150, 165, 135, 170. In the manual they say the lowest shouln't be less that 100 psi and the lowest reading cylinder must be 70% of the highest.
My tool doesn't do a power balance test. What I did was to check the compression while the engine was running in idle on cylinder 6 and 1, most misfires and least, and I got 60-62psi on both. Does this mean anithing?
Sounds like mechanically the engine is ok, with a scanner you could check the rpm drop as you kill each cyl. this would create your own power balance test.

-
From bad to worst. This morning the engine was running as yesterday, misfiring but running. I started the engine to check it again with my ScanTool. A few minutes later it stalled and didn't start again. I have the original Computer that went bad maybe 2 or 3 years ago. The engine worked rough with it but worked; I tryed it before yesterday and the engine started and run.
So, gessing that maybe the Computer went bad (I had boght it used) I replaced with the original I had from before, but the car didn't start either. So I am assuming that its not the Computer but I have no idea what to look for next.
I checked, again, the fuel pressure, for spark in the spark plugs, for disconected vacum hoses. Fuel pressure is about 42 psi, there is spark, and I didn't see signs of vacum leaks.
Trying to fix this non-start condition I replaced the Crankshuft Sensor and the Camshaft Sensor. Nothing!
When it stalled there were no noises or anything else, it just stoped running.
Could it have anything to do with the scurity system?
If you spray carb cleaner into the intake will it start, do you have injector pulse, check with a noid lite. So now you went from a miss to no run, is this correct? Try disconnecting the maf, see what happens after the prior tests.

-
It was running, I hadn't done anything, it just stalled and wouldn't start again. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake and the car tried to start. I went to two places and they didn't have the Noid Lite, maybe tomorrow I will find it in another store.

Try a NAPA store, they come in sets, not expensive.

-
Alpha One wrote:

My guess is it slipped a tooth and the timing's too far off. My car did that, too - running fine, then horrible for a few seconds and no starting. The chains do stretch.
I just tested the injector's harness with the Noid Lights and none of them as a pulse. What could be causing that?

Now we are down to the problem,check all the ecm and inj. fuses first. then get it on a scanner and see if it reads cranking rpms You threw us off with you saying you saw the injectors spraying. Last if nothing wrong shows, try tapping the ecm fairly hard with a screwdriver handle while cranking ,see if you get a momentary pulse on the noid, also check the harnesses are plugged into the ecm firmly.

-
This is getting confusing. :-) The car is back to the old problem. The not starting condition was a fuse under the dashboard next to the globe compartment. Now that it starts, if does what it was doing before, which is, cylinder 5 and 6 misfire. But 6 more that 5, sometimes it's the other way around. Rarely, 2 also misfires a little.
Where I see the misfiring it's with my ScanTool. If I listen to the injectors with a mechnics stethoscope I hear them clicking and they never miss. When I looked at injector it sprayed. If I remove the spark plug wire and test it looking at the spark, it never fail to spark. But I feel the engine running rough. I switched injector 6 with another and no difference. I also switch spark plugs 5 and 6 with others and no difference, still 6 and 5 misfire the worst.
The spraying I saw on the injectors before, was when I connect each injector to the battery directly just to see if they worked.

What codes are you getting on the scan tool referring to a miss.

-

The error given is:
P0300 Cylinder misfire detected (ramdom)
Try switching coils and see if the miss moves, earlier post you said you could see the miss fire with a timing lite, does it have a dead miss or does it skip intermittently. Also try spraying some water around the wires and coils when dark, see if you see any arcing.

-
Switching the coils makes no diference.
It skips intermitently, but cylinder 6 misses almost continuously, sometimes 5 does that.
There is no arcing with humidity.
Today I did an expriment. I disconnected one injector at a time and cheched which cylinders missfired with my ScanTool. Here are the results:
#1 disconnected ---> #2 misfired #2 disconnected ---> #1 misfired #3 disconnected ---> #6 misfired #4 disconnected ---> #5 misfired #5 disconnected ---> #4 misfired #6 disconnected ---> #3 misfired (and #2 a couple of times)
I checked the spark plug wires and they connect each coil to the right spark plug.
The tool, when you press the key to start recording, it reads data for about 9 seconds, plus about 5 seconds from before, and plays it back in 13 frames taken about, more or less, 1 second apart. Then I can scroll up and down through it.
Besides the usual error 300, ramdom misfiring, today I also got the error 406, pindle position error, EGR.