Any problems with putting a modern GM small block crate motor into a 1957 Chevy?

I'm helping my buddy pull the tired engine from his '57 today. The question is whether to rebuild it (a 283) or to replace it with a modern GM crate engine. GM offers a small block for "pre-1985 vehicles) which looks at first glance like it should drop right in. I wonder, however, if it is really that easy!

Will the exhaust and intake manifolds from the original '57 still fit? Any issues with starter motors or other accessories we should know about?

TIA for any good advice, John

Reply to
John Horner

Refresh my memory. Does a 57 have front motor mounts like a 56? Can't remember:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Friends don't let friends put money or effort into restoring '57 Chevies! You should have made him get a '55 or at least a '56.

Just kidding...............but I still prefer '55 and '56's.

Reply to
Grappletech

It's a front mount. It is also the first year where the small block includes an oil filter. The original '55 design had no provision for oil filtration. After considering the options my buddy has decided to have the original engine rebuilt. We took it to a very good local machine shop today. The casting on the engine shows late 1956 manufacturing, which is consistent with a 1957 model year car. It looks like this is the original engine and as such it is nice to keep it with the car. The machine shop guys were having lots of fun looking over the motor. Wow, look, no place for side motor mounts! Wow, look at those original slotted screws holding the timing cover in place. Yikes, remember when there was no bolt securing the front balancer ... and so on.

When it was all said and done a full rebuild and balancing will be close to the same cost as a new crate 350 would be, but the engine will be the one the car came with.

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John Horner

If it's really an original, unmolested '57 MY engine that hasn't been apart, take LOTS of digipix. Not only will they help you but other restorers who obsess about things like bolt head markings will be overjoyed.

nate

(all stainless hardware on my car...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

John, would you still rebuild it if it happens to be a 265? IIRC, some '57s came with the 265. Also, my same fading memory tells me most, if not all, 265s came with a 3-speed transmission AND 2-bbl carb. The 283 came with both 2-bbl and 4-bbl, both 3-speed and auto. Is yours an automatic, or

3-speed manual? I'd not spend any more than possible before it was determined definitely which engine you have. Fondly recalling the 1st family car, a '57 Chevy, I ever drove-- a bland, 6-cyl, 235, Blue-Flame engine, 3-speed, no radio, no ps, no pb, and a 210-series at that, not even a Bel-Air. Luck to you guys. s
Reply to
sdlomi2

We will find out today if it is a 265 or 283 based on bore diameter. It is equipped with a 2-bbl carb and the horrid Powerglide 2 speed automatic. He might have it bored out to 283 as part of the rebuild if it is a 265 because pistons and rings for the 265 are rare and expensive. This is also a 210 model with no ps and no pb, so pretty similar to the car you remember.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Sdlomi2,

I have similar fond memories of a '57 Chevy. Ours was a 150 series

4-door sedan, two-tone red and white, with the Blue-Flame 6, 3-speed with overdrive and no radio or any other "fancy" options. I was really bummed out when dad traded that '57 in on a '59. That '59 turned out to be a real lemon.

One other thing I do remember about that '57: I got very good at replacing blower motor switches - for some reason, that car ate them.

Remember also that '57 had 2 automatic transmissions available: the Powerglide, which was available with the 6 or the V8, and the Turboglide, which was available only with V-8s.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen

265 have silver "V's" front and rear. 283's have gold "V's."

Al

Reply to
Big Al

No cuz, cuz its basically the same block. 57 chevy 283 = 2006 350 block.

Reply to
Timmy Thompson Private Eye

good one!

Ian