Chevy Small Block Heads

Hi Guys,

I have a 1986 305 ci Chevy engine with cracked heads.

I also have a set of good heads off of a 1966 283 ci engine.

Does anyone know it these 283 heads will work on my 305?

Thanks,

Reply to
jhatt

Yes and no. They will bolt on but may lack accessory mounting holes and they will not have hardened valves and seats for use with unleaded fuels. I would advise against it.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

What is the casting numbers on the heads off the 305?? I have a good set of heads that came off a good 305 engine if you want them. Where you located???

Reply to
Old Hippy

are the bolt holes there for you Alternator ?

jhatt wrote:

Reply to
no one

"" wrote: > What is the casting numbers on the heads off the 305?? I have > a good set of > heads that came off a good 305 engine if you want them. Where > you located??? > > > On 1 Nov 2005 13:36:52 -0500, jhatt > wrote: > > >Hi Guys, > >

SnoMan,

I see the missing holes you are talking about. I was afraid the valves might be a littls soft for unleaded fuel but I wasn?t sure.

Old Hippy,

My casting Numbers are 14022601 (on both heads) I am in Apache Junction, Arizona about 40 miles east of phoenix.

Jim

Reply to
jhatt

"" wrote: > are the bolt holes there for you Alternator ? > > > jhatt wrote: > > Hi Guys, > > > > I have a 1986 305 ci Chevy engine with cracked heads. > > > > I also have a set of good heads off of a 1966 283 ci engine. > > > > Does anyone know it these 283 heads will work on my 305? > > > > Thanks, > > > > > >

no one,

Nope, no holes for my power steering either. I only need one on each head and the location where I need them is in a very "Meaty" part of the head. I probably could drill and tap them in alright, but I would still have the soft valves and lead additive to deal with that SnoMan pointed out.

Jim

Reply to
jhatt

I used to race SB Chevies many many years ago and I know them well.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Yes the valves will clear. Have the heads machined and hardend valve seats installed. any compitent automotive machine shop can drill & tap the accessiory bolt holes for you. 283 heads on a 305 will give you a higher compression ratio. One fix for the Notrouis P.I.G. 305's put in chevy trucks. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig