Buick HELP!

Application: 1973 Buick Electra 225, aka Land Yacht 455 Buick motor, NOT the Olds version OK.....I am stumped, and have stumped several different parts
stores. What is the switch/sensor doing in the back of the head????? It is a two prong device that is located in the rear of the passenger side head. The switch works on heat. When it is hot, the switch closes, cold...open. What is it's purpose??
Could someone provide a part number of something too?? More info..the two wires are brown, and there is a similar sensor on the opposing head, same location.....single "nub" similar to the old style oil pressure senders
HELP!!!!!
"Eightupman" wrote

the
parts
cold...open.
Not positive, but I think that that switch controls the A/C clutch, keeps the a/c from turning on until the engine warms up.
Ian
Do you know of a source to find out for sure? I am ready to just short the leads and leave it. I can't find another one anywhere.
8upman

What type of problem are you having that leads you to believe the switch is defective?
Prong is broken off...........not enough metal left to solder the prong back on. The rivit that held the prong on, fell down into the unit. So since it was broke anyway, I dug out the phenolic resin to see how it worked. Pretty simple device, just want to know what it is and what it controls. In case you were wondering how I found it...I am in the middle of a motor change and missed it when I jerked the motor..... POP.
wrote:

the
parts
cold...open.
oil
is

the
parts
cold...open.
Jim.J
Could you please explain how this could be a knock sensor, and how it would work in a non computerized car, with a point ignition system? I also do not know of any knock sensor that works on heat to switch it closed.
Thanks
8Upman

oil
I'm not the smartest guy in the group, but I know what a knock sensor is for!! LOL

it is a cylinder head temperature switch....at least on my 71 gs it is

the
parts
cold...open.
it does exactly what you said............

the
parts
cold...open.
Ok that's cool. BUT what does it send the voltage to? What does it control? I have heard everything from blower moter to tranny kickdown. What happens in your car if you were to unplug it??

oil
"Eightupman" wrote

Try this, disconnect it and see if the blower motor will work. Another poster mentioned that it's a delay for the blower motor, and I believe that they were correct. It's designed to stop the blower motor from operating when the engine is too cold. If by chance you don't like that feature, simply connect the two wires together and bypass the switch.
Ian
Finally got the motor running totoday. Blower works, shorted or not, hot or cold. Once I get all the brakes bled, I will give her a run and see if it has to do with the kickdown......(probably not though)

snipped-for-privacy@newemail.com says...

I think my '73 T/A has something like this. I'll have to see if I can find what its connected to.
Dennis Smith