Code P0101: Is the MAF really the problem?

My 2000 Buick Park Avenue stalls while driving. I get no SES light but my scanner does show the MAF code, P0101, after this happens. The car will only
restart if I clear the code. So I'm basically wondering if the MAF sensor is NOT the culprit, since the cleared code makes the car start again. (If I don't clear it, it's a bitch to restart). I just want to double check my logic, before replacing it.
Thanks,
Jeff
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:49:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@crap.com (Machine) wrote:

Given any thought to cleaning it first?
It's actually a new (remanufactured) MAF, installed last March. The dealer that installed it is hesitant in replacing it since my car won't stall for them. I'm just trying to get a consensus on what people think because I find it odd that the car can restart when clearing a code. It seems more like a computer problem than a MAF sensor.
Jeff
says...

Any secondary codes: When you clear a code you reset the whole computer so someone needs to look at all the stats in the computer and freeze frame data if there is any at the point of failure. May even require a scanner running on the computer while driving to the point of failure. It isn't just the code clearing that corrects the problem.
(Machine) wrote:

There's just the one 'pending' code, P0101. I'll see if I can get a scanner that will diagnose while driving. I won't be taking it to the shop anymore. They charge $60 just for driving it and the car won't stall unless driving it down a hill; and there aren't any near the shop.
Jeff
says...

Well, realize that it may be both. There may be a computer issue that the code causes 'your' problem in that it won't start, and that the computer doesn't retest.
But the error occurring in the first place is the 'start' of the problem, in that it triggers the events that eventually lead to not starting.
How expensive is the MAF? I had a friend with a German car that used this platinum wire to sense air flow, and when it broke, it was wickedly expensive. Not to mention his car was out of service for almost 5 weeks.
Before I'd recommend trying to clean it, I'd try to find out how fragile it would be in case it now HAS to be replaced, and how long it would take to get a replacement.
(Machine) wrote:

I can get a MAF on Ebay for $100 or less. The one I got from the dealer cost a hell of a lot more, since there was labor as well.
Thanks,
Jeff

Gm parts have at least a 1 year warranty.