Distilled Water - for Changing Coolent ???.

Page 1 of 2
Hi to all, I have a 1986 Cadillac Deville and I was going to change the Coolent in it. After I flush out the Water/Coolent I was wondering if Distilled Water is better to refill the Radiator with or just use plain
old Tap Water. Is it worth the expense to buy Distilled Water ?. Please let me know. Thank You. Brian Bower Las Vegas , NV
Tap Water...

Captain Crane wrote:

you can put in distilled. I guess not as important with the old coolant but almost required with the Dexcool.
Captain Crane wrote:

Distilled.
Tap Water is just fine.
Patrick

For hells sake, don't put Vegas tap water in your car. Not in the radiator, not the battery, I guess you can use it in your windshield cleaner, but nothing else.
Use distilled water in your radiator and battery no matter where you live.
If you live in the NW it is probably ok to drink.

Why would anyone use distilled water? In a cast iron block? You will have rusty distilled water.

More so than rusty tap water? More explanation, please?

If one were foolish enough to use ONLY distilled water, you're correct - it would get nasty after a while. BUT the original question concerned what kind of water to use during a coolant change.
Use ONLY distilled water. It's inexpensive, easily obtained, and doesn't contain any trace minerals which could encourage deposits in the radiator. Could you use tap water and get away with it? Certainly. But why? To use tap water is sort of like buying an the cheapest oil filter you can find - why risk it for a dollar or two?
Doug
D. Silski wrote:

Not true.

Yes, the expense of distilled water is minimal and using it reduces the minerals and other contaminants in your cooling system. I have used it religiously for years and rarely have any kind of cooling system problems with my vehicles.
John

My rule is to use distilled water whenever possible. Tap water out here is really hard, lots of minerals, so I dont feel like clogging the cooling system with it. Tap water in an extreme emergency.
Is bottled water distilled?
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in

has impurities, as well as distilled water which is supposed to be free of minerals.

Local Pepsi bottling plant uses local city water for the Aquafina bottled water. In the Northeast, look for the "Bottled in" section, it might just say "Bottled in Latham, NY from Latham municipal water" or along those lines. People think they're getting better than tap water when they buy a bottle of water, that may not be so...
Harry Face wrote:

Nope, bottled water tends to be "Spring" water, which comes with minerals and trace elements (thus giving each brand of water its distinctive taste that makes people want to buy that brand). It also tends to be teeming with bacteria and such, but those will most likely get killed off in any car's radiator once you hit normal operating temperature. :)
Water is only distilled when the label says it is.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Jack Daniel's doesn't list the distilled water content. ;)
Isaiah Beard wrote:

Distilled Water can be purchased in "ANY Drug Store" it is there to be mixed with baby formula. The bottled water in grocery stores is not normaly distilled.

???? Not saying it's not done, but I know of no one who uses distilled water for baby formula, icky (well BF is icky already, LOL)
A lot of people use it in steam irons and it has a few other household uses, but distilled water has such a flat taste (distilling removes the minerals, etc that give water what taste it has)

Only the bottles they sell that are distilled water...

JD uses filtered water, not distilled.
Is 50/50 a must ratio for the coolant/water mix? What happen if I just pour coolant to the tank to top up the level? Why can't the manufacturer mix at the factory? Sorry I'm newbie when it comes to cars and I'm curious to know these questions.
Thanks for your help,
Simon