engine sound

Help is needed I have venture van it runs well but sometimes the engine starts to make a sound I do not know the exact name for that sound but it is the same sound wehen you go in the reverse direction
for long distance or like the sound comming from the electrical chair for handicaps Does any one know any reason for this? when this sounds start the transmission shifts in bad way ( not smoothly)
My van is 2000 with less than 80000 millege! thanks
I have heard of this through the grapevine from other Venture/Montana owners. Maybe Shep or Ian can shed some light on what seems to common issues with that particular vehicle. But, first thing I would do is check trans fluid and power steering fluid level. I'm not 100%, but I don't think the "wine" and the "harsh shifting" are related other than they both happen when cold. Making sure the fluids are at the proper level will confirm or deny this.
Steve

I have checked the fluid level for the trans and the engine: trans oil color and level is is fine
engine is missing one quart ( it is lower by one circle i think this what it means!)
Water level in the coolant reservoir is full
Hi Steve,
Can you please explaine to me what do you mean by "both happen when cold.." Thank you very much for the help

Harsh shifting usually occurs when the trans is cold. Power steering and trans pump wines usually occur when the fluid is low, and when they are cold the level is lower. Just had this happen to my wife's car, power steering fluid was so low, the pump wined. Once the fluid warmed up the level in the reservoir went up and the wine stopped. Filling it to the proper level was the solution. Now if I can just teach her to tell me these thing when they happen rather than two weeks later.
Steve
Thanks Steve for your time, but really i have little experience with cars, so i will ask you again: The sound starts while I was on the highway and the engine was still running but I have to stop and move many times slowly because of some work on the road, then after moving away the sound starts- do you still think that the trans. may be was cold at that time.
When you say cold does the temperature indicator of the engine tells that or just it is because of the outside temp. * the only thing i did not check is the power oil but for the trans. and engine it is fine.
No, what I said was check the fluid levels to eliminate that as the problem.
That being said, if you have eliminated the levels/condition of fluids. Now it's time for a trip to your neighbourhood mechanic to, like Shep said, have the vehicle scanned. There is a TSB regarding harsh upshifts and trans whine for you particular transmission, so it should be taken somewhere to have it properly diagnosed.
Find a shop that the local "soccer moms" frequent, just outside suburbia. They'll see a lot of late model Venture/Montanas. Could also try the local Mister Transmission or Cotmans (?). However, I'm weary of those guys because of a previous bad experience. You could also try the local Chev/Pont dealer, which is your best bet.
Steve

As Steve says start with the basics here, if it seems to connect to trans shifting, have it scanned on a trans capapble scanner for proper internal operation. Also see if the trans fluid seems " burnt" or discolored.

-
I just want to add that this does not happen all the time it only happens after going for ~20 miles ( continously or stopping in between) then swiching of the engine for half hour it starts, and once it happened at the highway during rush hour were i have move very slowely.. * I will check trans fluid...
Thanks for help
"Mo" wrote: .......this does not happen all the time it only happens after going for ~20 miles ( continously or stopping in between) then swiching of the engine for half hour it starts, and once it happened at the highway during rush hour were i have move very slowely.. _______________________________________________
Gear whine in automatic leveling system pump motor operating intermittently due to defective air bag/accumulator/level sensor ?
Just a wild guess, would not explain rough shifting.
Good luck.