sound dampening engine well

Has anyone tried dynamat products in the engine well? Can you tell any difference? Not looking for sound proofing, just significant dampening of higher frequency noise at interstate noise.

I can't find actual tarboards.

David

Reply to
C7eca

I could see putting the dynamat on the rear shelf area behind the seats. I bought some 1" foam insulation with a shiny ffoil covering from JC Whitney and it helped. The foil keeps heat away from it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

John Connolly has the correct type of tar boards I think.............

Try the link,.......one of the opyions is a board twice as thick as original too.................sounds good to me.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Check out what this guy did on his bus:

If you don't, it's its.

and likewise yours

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Thanks everybody! David

Reply to
C7eca

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Rhino truckbed liner sprayed in my engine compartment. I think it would look fantastic, and that stuff is tough as nails.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I've seen that stuff ignite. Granted, flame was being directly applied to it at that point, but it would make me uneasy to have it too close to the engine.

Best muffling effect I ever witnessed on a vw was puting

4-5 collapsed moving boxes behind the back seat. I was almost reluctant to actually use those boxes to help me move. ;) Engine was still quite audible but it really cut out the high pitched lawn mower feel.
Reply to
Seth Graham

Economical, too! I used 1" and 1/4" aircraft sealed-cell foam. Awesome stuff.

Reply to
jjs

I just bought this stuff from

, i got both the floor insulation and the sound dampning material.... they both have a sticky backing and u just use the roller that it comes with to press it into place... the floor liner LOOKS pretty impressive and since I just striped my floorpans and coated them with por15, now seems like a good time to try this stuff

I'm also going to put the floor liner on the inside of the rear area behind the firewall, all of the other thinner stuff will go in my trunk, side foot rest area, tunnel etc....

i'll let u know how it goes....

i imagine if the floor insulation is strong enough it could go behind the engine as a firewall/tarboard, but I haven't examined it yet.... so for now I plan on using it inside the car

Reply to
Skipnkuf

hehehe, i just kinda thought this testimonal for fatmat fit our VW theme

Skipnkuf