GM Still Sells 1 out 4 of all Cars sold in the US

Page 2 of 3
SAABS are now pretty much just rebadged and tweaked GM cars. One uses the Trailblazer as a base and another is based on the Euro Opel. SAAB is not what it used to be.

they
public
Do you think that a bad thing? I you do how does your opinion square with the fact SAAB sells far more vehicle now that it is owned by GM than at any time in its history?
mike hunt

I loved the Old American cars up until the mid 70's. Lets face it American PEOPLE have always been overated as well as the history of the country with all the corruption and stealing anf hatred. Though many refuse to face the truth about that. Some just take it out on the car companies.

with
America has made some really good and affordable cars in large numbers.
But sometimes we do brag of our engineering and our quality when it is not warranted. (Even the British still boast of their engineering expertise.)
Management has sometimes lapsed into a mentality of producing something they believe to be 'good enough', rather than of exceptional quality.
Capitalism as practiced for years in the USA created jobs and wealth by strong competition. Strong competition, eventually, can lead to fear, greed, and corruption even at highly affluent management levels, not to mention in the band of 37,000,000 people who are defined to be living below the poverty level.
Attitudes have changed here over the decades, and some not for the good.
What America do you live in? The vehicles that the domestics sell TODAY are as good or better than any import you can buy for around the same amount of money, period That is why the domestics sell MORE vehicles today than any import.
The proof is in the pudding as they say And the proof of what buyer think are the best vehicles is in the annual sales figures and the fact is more Americans buy more domestic brand vehicles than all of the twenty some import brands combined. The best selling import company is Toyota and they are a distant forth place, millions of vehicles behind number one and two GM and Ford ;)
mike hunt
wrote in message

Yeah, and Budweiser is the best beer sold in the U.S. because it outsells everybody else.
Give it a rest, Mike. A lot of factors go into how many cars are sold (like incentives, proximity of dealer, number of dealers, etc.) and not just construction quality.
wrote in message

Perhaps in your opinion but million of people from around the world, have and still are, literally dying to get to the USA. In what other county in the world are doing that? Every other county in the word is jumping head over tail to do business in the USA as well. Teh only problem we have today is too many American do not have the guts or the since to fight for and support their owe county
mike hunt

Actually, everybody in the world is jumping up and down to do business in China and India. Those are the places where GM makes money, for example, and they hold China, in particular, as their potential salvation.

Imports don't suck. Toyota and Honda make the cars with the least amount of defects on the market. Sure, American cars have made improvements (especially Pontiac), but our cars are second best to the Japanese. At least we have fewer defects than European cars.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Ummm, Saab was pretty much always a POS. I wouldn't blame the General.

I only owned one of them. It was quite a good car.

Did it come with the Ski rack or did you buy your own?

I had to buy my own ski rack;>)
Seriously, I never had any problems with the car, and it was sold further to a company employee who drove it for a long time. (It did NOT have an automatic tranny. I avoid those whenever I can.)
Reminds me of my first Toyota ;)
mike hunt

> On 4/20/2006 6:17 AM ... snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Customer service (corporate) is (or was) quite bad indeed...the worst I'd experienced in comparison with other brands over 35 years of vehicle ownership. The customer is made to feel like the enemy from darn near the the first word spoken. I once had a very simple issue to resolve, the response was "we will no longer accept communications from you on this matter."(or something similar). How rude! No one in the family has purchased a GM product since and I dumped the one I had since I didn't wasn't going to be treated that way any longer. So, I have to agree on this point 100%. Hopefully they are learning to listen to the customer and be a bit more helpful!
2000 Yukon XL. 30,000 miles. 2005. Original owner. Original purchase dealer now sells...Suzukis (no kidding.)
Rear window defogger fails because the contact tab falls off of the defroster grid. Not repairable. Need to replace the rear window. $800. Contacted GM customer care. Eventually GMC agrees to pay 1/2 of repair if done at GM dealer. I find that an after-market windows costs $400, so I get that instead (lifetime warranty vs. 1 year for GM).
Also discover that rear power window does not work at same time. Friend who I gave a ride to when truck was new tells me it didn't work when new. He told me then, but I didn't believe him...thought he was joking. I never lower rear windows so only discovered problem by accident at 5 years - out of warranty. Again contacted GM customer care and ask them to chip in 1/2 of cost. The put me in contact with a local GM dealer who paid for 1/2 of repair as a good will gesture. I paid~$100.
At 4 years of age the Yukon XL's electric fuel pump failed. had it towed to a local independent who put in a rebuilt pump for $700 as I recall. I contact GM customer care and ask for reimbursement because fuel pump had no business failing at ~25,000 miles. Eventually, they agree to pay half after stating that if I had towed it to a GM dealer they might have covered full repair.
These are not the only things that went wrong, but they are the three that GM paid part of for after the warranty ended.
NONE of these things should have happened, but to GM's credit they did offer to help pay some of the repair cost.
Now if only they could make the damn things so they did not break way too soon.
- GRL

Chuck U. Farley wrote:

GM covering half of your cost of repairs is hardly doing you a big favor. The gross profit margin on repair parts and labor exceeds 50% for the combined GM/dealer channel, so all they did was make less money on your repairs.
None of those things should have reasonably failed in the first four years of ownership, and statistically are much less likely to have failed had you been driving a Toyota or Honda product.
John
But just because they are domestic doesn't mean that they are the only lemons. We had a Camry that needed an engine at 61,000 miles. It was under warranty but it's not a Ferrari, one would expect the engine to last longer. Six months after the engine went, the trans went. Both were warranty items and were replaced . We swapped it on a Ford mini-van.... Oh the joys of family life.
GLW

If that is what you believe you need to look in the shop at one of their dealers and see all the cars with their engines or trannys removed. ;)
mike hunt