GM to pay in coolant repair cases

Page 4 of 4

Another question that just came to mind. Should I be using Dex Cool at all, given that there is enough evidence to justify a class action settlement, or should I move to the all purpose Prestone ??
Damn, I bought the car figuring GM might be trying to improve it's products.. (and Consumer Reports did not mention one darn thing about this problem). Why do I feel ripped off ??
Thanks again !!
Peter
Peter wrote:

Nothing wrong with the Dex-Cool. Just in peoples minds. Think about this if it was JUST the coolant being the problem why is it that the only engines affected are the same intake design? Why is it that ALL GM vehicles are not suffering these failures?
The problem is the result of a gasket that was a bad design. Made that way due to the regulations the govt. put in place regarding asbestos use. If you look at the design of the engine and the way the gaskets are installed it is real easy to see why they failed. GM isn't the only one with this problem but some of the the other makers used a better gasket design with metal reinforcement. That coupled with the lack of clamping pressure on the gaskets due to the revised intake bolt design cause gasket failure. If you look at the intake bolts you will find that instead of passing through the intake into the head at a 90 degree angle so they apply even pressure across the face of the head/intake interface. Instead they go through at a 45 degree angle and clamp the bottom of the intake tight by wedging it into the valley between the heads. This applies a lot of clamping pressure at the bottom of the gasket with decreasing pressure the farther up the interface area you travel. Think about using a clamp on two parts, if you want even pressure you put the clamp in the center, not at one edge. With the pressure difference the top part of the gasket can move around more than the bottom. The motion of the heads as they heat up and shift and the intakes motion as it heats up also cause problems. What is the result, the gasket fails at the stress line. If you do a bunch of these repairs you can actually stack the failed gaskets and you will find the failure points within 1/2" area on the ends of the gasket.
If you look at the newest design for the gaskets you can see the difference in the construction. When you remove the old gasket look right at the edge of the gasket and you will likely find the cracked section that caused the failure. It sticks out like a sore thumb when you see it.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Good explanation... thanks.... I'll be looking for the failure point and checking old gaskets against newer after market products.
Unfortunately GM has lost a lot of credibility due to the way they allowed the dexcool issue to continue. Maybe they should have explained the problem just as you have... not difficult to understand.
Thanks for taking the time to explain... that helps tremendously !!
Peter

Thank you for contacting the legal advice portion of GM newsgroup. As I see it, GM will not only give you free parts, but for your trouble you will also receive a gift certificate to take your family out to dinner. You must, however, drive the family in the GM car to the restaurant.
Real lawyers can charge up to 50% of your portion of the settlement fund, but in my case, just send me the dessert from your dinner.

Done !!! Did you want that cheesecake with Strawberry or Cherry Topping ?? Grand Marinier Liqueur on the side ???
Planning on calling the dealer tomorrow.... just to see if he'll offer any price breaks...
Got my copy of Alldata printed out.... just in case the dealer says all the wrong words like
"No" $700.00 take it or leave it.
I survived 3.1 gasket changes, 3.8 manifold changes... marriage and home ownership. This too shall be a piece of cheesecake.
On the plus side, while trying to gather as much information as I can.... visiting www.advanceautoparts.com they've just posted a recall for an air compressor due to a possibility of it catching on fire. Looks vaguely familiar... so I head down to the dungeon to take a look.... yupp.... same model Strike Force 3.5HP 4.6 gal dual tank.
Recall says...." may overheat and catch fire "
Charbroiled Cheesecake anyone ??
Peter
It would have been so much smarter for GM to deal with the problem early and to take care of their customers the right way.
Now the damage to reputation is done AND the lawyers get to collect a pile of cash.
And to think that in the US we pay our automotive executives 5x-10x what Toyota and Honda pay theirs.
John