GM to pay in coolant repair cases

Fact is, every brand of car has it individual vehicles that perform poorly and every brand has some that go for many miles with no problems. Overall, the typical car today is far superior to the typical car of years ago, no matter who made it or the country of origin.

I bought my first non-GM car in many years because I was unhappy with my present one, but that certainly won't fix the old one or absolve the new one from problems. I was not happy about rebuilding the transmission, but, that is the first time in 46 years of driving that I'd had to do a serious repair on a transmission.

If you compare the cars of the '50s and '60s that we grew up with and still love the styling, they were poorly built and had very high routine maintenance. Clean your plugs at 5,000 miles, replace plugs, points, rotor at 10,000 miles. Oil change and chassis lube at 2000 miles. Common to do a ring job at 50,000 miles, maybe bearings too. Muffler was good for a couple of years and flat tires a few times a year.

Once you got the new car home from the dealer you started a list of things for the dealer to repair under warranty. Common to have 10, 20, or even more items on that list. Of the last four cars I bought new, one has one defect from the factory, another had none for six months, the other had none for a year, my present car has none on 18 months and 34k miles.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It would have been so much smarter for GM to deal with the problem early and to take care of their customers the right way.

Now the damage to reputation is done AND the lawyers get to collect a pile of cash.

And to think that in the US we pay our automotive executives 5x-10x what Toyota and Honda pay theirs.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

Keep in mind that regardless of the shop rate the hired mechanics don't make ANYWHERE near that amount. Most of the shops around here pay between 16-22 bucks an hour to the guys doing the wrench work.

Now consider that most of them also have to supply their own tools, along with buying some of the special tools for odd vehicles and probably their own scan tool as well. That can kill $15,000.00 REAL easy. Unless you work out all the tricks and ways to beat book time on a job you won't be making much money.

Reply to
Steve W.

But some guys can pull down 50 to 60 hours pay in 40 hours by beating the book.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

True, but they are few and far between. Plus you want to be sure that, although they are working fast that they are doing a good job as well. I've seen a few that work real fast that I wouldn't trust to work at a Jiffy lube.

Reply to
Steve W.