GM Unhappy With New Buick Ads: Report (VIDEO, POLL)

Does anyone under 65 actually own a Buick?

GM Unhappy With New Buick Ads: Report (VIDEO, POLL)

What image should the bailed-out General Motors project to the world?

AutoBlog passes along a report from Automotive News (subscription required) that GM's VP of marketing Bob Lutz is already unhappy with new Buick ads that are aimed at young, hip buyers. Here's AutoBlog:

"Both Lutz and GM CEO Fritz Henderson don't believe the commercial positions Buick as a luxury brand that competes with Lexus. They have told GM's ad agency, Leo Burnett, that it needs to do better. However -- and here's where it gets convoluted -- the ad was created by an independent shop that Leo Burnett was told to hire to do the work."

The ad, a spoof on a beach side photo shoot, features a pretentious director who says of the Buick, "She's had work done." Later in the spot, the director addresses the car: "You've changed - and I love it!"

What do you think of the ad? Is this the right image for Buick as a brand? Will these ads help the brand compete with Lexus? Should GM be worried? WATCH and VOTE below:

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Yes, it was a dumb ad, IMO. It would not influence me either way. :

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Give me a break. How many "good" ad's have you seen? It had catchy music, and was kind of humorous. It's just an ad people, seriously.

Reply to
80 Knight

Why bother worry about it? The car looks more like something Dodge would produce, so there's no point in chasing Lexus.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Jim Higgin's worte: Does anyone under 65 own a Buick?

Yes, me - age 47 and a friends son (95 Century) who turned 19 last week.

harryface

91 Bonneville 318,876 05 Park Avenue 86,285
Reply to
Harry Face

I used to as in past tense. It wasn't near good enough experience to get repeat customers. 5 times in the shop for transmission repair with less than 20,000 on the odo. Needless to say the replacement wasn't a GM.

Reply to
Canuck57

As well, I've owned a few over the years and I'm now only 56. I owned them in my 30's and 40's. No way I would buy one of the Dodge look-alikes today though.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

We can't count that friend's son, as he probably got it because that was all he could afford (or it was a good deal...)

As for you, some age faster than others! Could be you are 47 going on

67, right?
Reply to
PeterD

Gee I hope it was not one of the those sludged up engine Toyotas. LOL

Reply to
Mike

I wish, it would have had better resale value. LOL.

Reply to
Canuck57

Perhaps, but only because you can easily find a Canadian Toyota buyer who is dumb enough to buy a car that needs an engine LOL

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like a used GM with a 3800 manifold problem.

Reply to
Canuck57

Pete,

My friends son got a 95 Century because, A. His father had a 92 Century and B, the lady was selling the 95 at a pretty good price - but right off the bat it needed close to $1800.00 work.......

The 92 went to the junkyard about two weeks ago minus just about everything that bolted on the body.

Incedently I was 21 when I bought my 68 LeSabre convertible.