GMC Safari Mirror

I have a 1997 GMC Safari that I haven't driven for awhile. The rear view mirror attached to the windshield has fallen off. I know there is a special glue available to re-attach it but I can't figure out how to
remove the metal tab from the mirror bracket to glue it back on the windshield. Any advice??
<aviationATinxpress.net> wrote: 1997 GMC Safari
The rear view mirror attached to the windshield has fallen off. I know there is a special glue available to re-attach it but I can't figure out how to remove the metal tab from the mirror bracket to glue it back on the windshield. Any advice?? __________________________________________________
One common mirror mount configuration:
When the metal tab is fixed to the windshield, the mirror is installed by sliding the mirror bracket downward onto the tab. The bracket has slots which slide down over flanges on the tab. Then a small setscrew in the bracket must be tightened to prevent the bracket from becoming loose while on the tab.
To remove the mirror bracket from the tab, loosen the setscrew and slide the bracket up off of the tab.
Or in the present case, loosen the setscrew and slide the tab down out of the bracket.
Before gluing the tab to the windshield, be sure it is oriented correctly; with the narrow part of the tab upward, and with the flanges away from the glass. Check it several times, including placing it in the bracket temporarily to be sure.
Please note: I am not saying that I (Moi?) ever stuck one on wrong or shattered a windshield trying to get it back off.
Good luck.
Wendy & John. ___________________________________________________
This one does not have a set screw.
This one does not have a set screw. ___________________________________________
Sorry, no clue here. Maybe someone with a Safari will take a look at their mirror attachment and post a helpful suggestion.
Document ID# 363224 1998 GMC Truck Safari - 2WD
Rearview Mirror Replacement
Removal Procedure
1. Insert a small flat-bladed tool into the slot from the bottom. If equipped disconnect the electrical connector.
2. Press slightly in order to release it from the tab.
3. Slide the mirror off of the support.
Installation Procedure
1. Install the mirror to the inside rearview mirror support. If equipped install the electrical connector.
2. Install the inside rearview mirror by sliding it downward firmly until it locks in place.