help

:?: I have a 98 chevy lumina thats giving me problems. Everytime I stop for a short period of tme it shuts off on me. I had it tested and they told me it was the fuel pump but i dont beleive them because
i was told by someone else that a fuel pump doesnt do that. Does anyone have any idea. thanks
Who was the more educated/trained person? The person who tested it or the person who diagnosed it by simply hearing the symptoms?
Steve

Unfortunately, unless you stood beside the mechanic that tested it, observed the readings, and understood them, you still don't know who was the more correct or more honest.
I would assume you had to pay the one mechanic for his test. If he replaces the fuel pump, he will charge you something like a couple hundred bucks or more. If it doesn't fix it, then you are a bit lighter in the pocket and no more mobile.
Will he guarantee that this will fix it on a no fix, no pay basis? ( I rather doubt it)
Find a mechanic of impeccable reputation and see if he will confirm the diagnosis. It may cost you a bit, but that could be money well invested.
The nature of the question alone is incomplete, good return info guys.

-
I don't get it.

Steve, I should have been more explicit here, I hate typing but the lack of info and clear description of the symptoms generated my "incomplete/vague" response.

-
I don't believe for a second that you hate typing. ;)
Steve

News==----
Newsgroups
=----
This points to a question I've had for some time: Why don't fuel systems have some kind of pressure switch which feeds into the computer? Especially port injection? That way, if certain parameters are met, like crank sensor pulsing, but the fuel press is out of range, it would set a code which points directly to the fuel system (more specifically, low pressure in the system) right off the bat. It would be put in the loop serving only as a diagnostic device, but I don't see how it could be very expensive--just a simple pressure switch and the ECM does the rest. It could, for example, wait a second or two after beginning to crank before it processed the pressure signal, to let it build up pressure, etc. I guess I'm thinking only of closed loop, though. Or would it be too much of a hazard in the unlikely event the switch failed (began leaking)? Is that the obvious thing I'm missing here? It also seems like they could have a similar parameter during which time the voltage at the pump is monitored. I'm just throwing this out for all you guys out there, your 2. Maybe I'm way off here, but I'd think that if such a setup was extant in the OP's car, I wonder if they would even need to be posting here. I mean, it sets codes for everything else, for Gawd's sake. :0)
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Goforth) wrote in

switch simular to oil pres. would be a good idea. it could self test at the same time it run evap test and continuesly compare pump supply volts against syst. volts....also it would let you see pump pres. on scanner while driving and hunting for intermittants.......call GM with your idea, since they started getting all there design ideas from the asians they should have plenty of folks looking for something to do.........kjun