HELP: Change Serpentine Belt on '92 Buick Century

Hope someone can help me out. I need to change the serpentine belt on a 92 Buick 3300 engine but don't know how to release the old belt. Please help me out by explaining how to release the tension on the old belt so I can remove it and then show me how to reset the tension once the new belt is on. Thank you for any advice and help. Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston,

Before you start, make sure that there is still a belt routing diagram under the hood. It may be on the hood itself, or on the upper radiator support bracket. If it is NOT there then get a piece of paper and a pen and draw up a rough diagram on how the belt goes on.

On the tensioner itself should be a square hole. Use a 3/8" ratchet (or breaker bar) in that hole, and you can use it to release the tension to get the belt off.

Route the belt starting at the lowest pulley (the crank pulley). Follow your routing diagram, looping the belt around the pulleys. Standard rule of thumb is if the pulley is flat/bare, the *back* of the belt rides on it. If the pulley is grooved, the face (with the grooves) rides on it. Follow the belt around until you reach the tensioner again. Use the same ratchet to "unload" the tension, then get the pulley on the tensioner and release slowly. Any slack will be taken up ASAP, or when you start the car.

PS - Save the old belt if it is not too worn out. If the new one snaps, you'll have a spare with you that you can put on to get to the store. :)

Good luck!

Eric

Reply to
Boomtastic Racing

You need either an 18mm offset box wrench or 18mm SHORT socket and breaker bar, and a long piece of pipe. Place wrench on tensioner bolt and pull towards the front of car. Or you could weld an 18mm socket to a long piece of flat Uni-Strut. Then follow Boomtastic Racing's advice.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Thanks everyone, for all the input. I got it done in no time at all.

Winston

Reply to
Winston