HELP: GM 3.8L V6 oil pump cavitation

1994 Olds 88 Royale, 3.8L, V6, L27 engine
I just installed a new timing chain. I followed the Haynes manual recommendation and stuffed petroleum jelly into the pump cavities and around
the gears. No startup: no oil pressure. Pulled the oil filter and its empty.
How can I prime the oil pump without taking the timing chain cover off again (ugh)..
Bill snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
Try filling the filter and spinning the engine with no plugs, is the pressure relief spring free?