1997 LeSabre Purchase

I am looking at purchasing a 1997 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8 V6 (70,000mi) from a local dealer. I looked it over yesterday but couldn't test drive it because the dealer had only just got it in and they had to do their "safety check". Today I called the sales person and he told me that the car had failed the check because they found that the intake manifold gasket was leaking, but he told me that they would get the gasket replaced in the next couple of days and that he would call me to schedule a test drive as soon as the work was complete.

My question is why would an intake manifold gasket fail after just 70,000 miles? Is this a known common problem with this engine, or could there be a more serious underlying cause? What else should I look for?

Several people (with more auto knowlege than I) have told me that "I can't go wrong" with a LeSabre, and that the engine is one of the most reliable in the industry, that's why I am looking to purchase one. A problem like this does have me concerned though.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cal.

Reply to
Cal

Hi

Do a serach > I am looking at purchasing a 1997 Buick LeSabre Custom 3.8 V6 (70,000mi)

Reply to
Dms100Tech

Make that Page 6 of the PDF with the breakoff for VIN serial #'s.

Also you may want to order a Carfax.com report for $19.99 for any vehicle you purchase. Buick has a customer service number 1-800-521-7300 you can call and they'll probably tell you if your VIN# has any outstanding recalls, recall types, etc.

Good luck !!

Guido wrote:

Reply to
Guido

Reply to
Guido

"Guido" wrote

Using a 180 degree thermostat on these engines should never be recommended. The intake manifold debacle is a manufacturing defect/screwup plain and simple and should just be repaired properly. I.E:.....replace the upper and lower intake manifolds and gaskets.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Known problem. It seems to be a roughly 25% chance per 50K miles - so some cars have it, some go 200K without it failing.

Have them check the radiator, water pump, and timing chain. I'd not but it without the starter and water pump replaced, since those will fail in the next 10-20K miles. The radiator is likely on its last legs as well, though once these are fixed/replaced, you should be fine for another 50-70K.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Depending on how you drive, this car could last you 10 more years. The intake manifold is the main issue with the engine. Once its repaired the right way no telling how long she'll hold up. As long as the dealer is doing all this safety check stuff, find out what else they plan to do to the car. They might even change the trans oil, antifreeze, engine oil & if it needs it - brakes .

A seven year old car would have me given it the evil eye ( =D8=BF=D8 ) for signs of body work. LeSabre is a " Senior Preferred " car and many seniors driving have been known to smash up a car a few times. Also it could of had more than one owner. One poster mentioned getting a Carfax report, might be smart to check into it.

Also, it this car was purchased new from the dealer your looking at they may have a service history on record.

I know a few people with 99 LeSabre with no problems yet, but they don't have many miles on them. My Aunt has a 99 with barely over 6000 miles on it.

One common problem was the black powder coating wearing off the drivers side power window switch plate.

Might also be a good idea to replace the battery if its still the original.

Good Luck

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Harryface =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~273,437 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face