Essex V6 Engine Oil

Hi all,

I am about to change the engine oil in my Mk1 3000GT Capri. Each year I have run it on old style 20/50 oil as I?ve figured that was the oil it was manufactured for so I?ll use it.

I realise that oil technology moves on so I asked my local motor factors what oil is recommended. It is apparently a 10-30. And reading the container to does say it is recommended for high milage Ford engines?.. (My car is high milage:

130,000 miles but doesn?t do a high milage now as she?s getting kinda old).

It does seem a bit odd to me though as I would have thought a worn engine would need the lattitude of a higher viscosity oil. Wouldn?t a

10-30 oil be a bit thin!

Any advice/thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Waites

I've tried going down that route and - sure, 10-30 oil does seem to work OK in an Essex. You do, however, use more of it as it is better at finding its way out through all the various little paths which the Essex so abounds in. More puddles on the driveway, in other words. I went back to using 20-50..

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Personally I think a 10W30 is probably a bit thin for an Essex. My choice would be for a 15W-40 or 15W-50: remember that the Essex is a hoary old design from the very-early

1960s when the world ran on 20W50 or even straight 40-weight monograde oils.
Reply to
PJML

I'm using Halford's fully synthetic in my high mileage V-8 SD1. The oil pressure's rubbish, but then it always was. Doesn't appear to use any more oil than with other stuff - ie near zero. A thinner oil might make the engine burn more, but should help with wear etc on a cold start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , on Mon, 24 May 2004, Paul Waites writes

I would stay with 20W50. 10W30 is really too thin for that engine.

I have been using Castrol Classic 20W50 in mine, but recently switched to Valvoline Racing 20W50, partly because I can buy it locally and it works out cheaper than having Castrol Classic delivered, and partly because so many 1970's Ford owners and an engine builder I trust have recommended it to me.

Phil

Reply to
Philip Stokes

Cheers for the advice, I figured that I was wise to stick with 20-50.... It has run for the last thirty odd years on it so I don't really need to change now!

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Waites

Both my Vitesse and Celica GT4 are filled with Halfords fully synthetic. Both cars use very little between oil changes. May even put it in in the E34 at the next oil change. The local Halfords occasionally sell it at £14.99 for 5 ltrs. ATM I have over 15 ltrs of it in my garage. Never could resist a bargain. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G