Life of A.C. 2002 Buick Century

I was shocked today to receive the repair for my AC repair..over $700.
The car has been well cared for and has about 40k.
Wondering if this is typical or did the garage do some creative
billing?
What is the usual life of an AC?
You don't tell us a thing about what was wrong or what was done to your AC. You want us to give you a "creative" answer. The mileage is a bit low. If the vehicle sat all winter and never had the AC/defrost on, the seals could have leaked. Maybe the car was in a minor accident or used over very bumpy roads. An AC repair after four years is not totally unexpected.

Depends. My '91 Regal was repaired correctly after three attempts by the dealer when it was about 2 years old. Lasted until this past year with 148,000 miles. Did it really need $700 in repairs? Hard to say. Could have been a bad compressor and dryer, could have been a simple seal leak.
In my case, the dealer (under warranty) "repaired" my AC twice. The second time I did not even make it home a mile away and it died. Dealer insisted they fixed it right. We has a long discussion about AC and how they work and I asked what they did. I asked if the evaporator was checked. He said no, they never go bad. You can figure the rest of the story.
My late old 96 Taurus had a leak in the AC that my trusted mechanic could not locate. he said that it must be the evaporator, which is under the dash. It would be about 8 hours of labor to replace it since the dash had to come out. They do go bad and it is more common than you think.

You must've abused your A/C or You didn't take it into your authorized GM dealer for maintenance
and besides GM sells more A/C units than Toyota !
( so there )
<rj>

Hey - you gotta use last names. There's more than one Mike here. And you forgot to mention fleets.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Spiderd wrote:

A long time. My 92 G/A has never had the a/c worked on, never had to add r-12, and it still keeps me comfortably cool in the Houston summer time when the temp reaches the 100's F.
Spiderd wrote:

I'm shocked that "you" were shocked! Did you just drop the car off and say "fix it"? Did you get an estimate? Did you ask them to diagnose it first and give you an idea of what it needed?
You gotta take control of your auto repairs. Otherwise, you will probably continue to be "shocked".
Ian
Spiderd wrote:

The condenser failed on our '02 Olds about a year ago at around 55k miles, so you situation is not unique.
John
Thanks for all the good responses. I was told that the bill would be over $700 but when we paid it was about $500. About $200 for labor and $300 for parts.
The blend door actuator was replaced.
Being a very old bugger I never cease to be shocked at the cost of everything. Some brain cells are still set at the 1950's prices.....gas at 18 cents a gallon, great houses sold for $30,000. My new 1957 Plymouth Belvedere hardtop convertible with fins cost $2500. (not $25,000)
Too bad we don't have a time machine.
Yes but you forgot that in 1957 $1.50 an hour was a good union wage, a Buick cost $3,500 a bit more than the average annual income and a new car warranty was only 30 days or 1,000 miles WOF. Today buyers expect the manufactures to fix their vehicles for free forever. LOL
mike hunt

Your income of 1957 vs now was???FYI the ratio of costs and income in that period is over 10 to 1.

Depends of the quality of the car. For GM, NOT SURPRISING.

The HVAC 'computer' can cost you up to about $600 alone when that goes out.