LS1 distributor

If one wanted to run an LS1 in an older car with a carburetor and no computer, how could you get spark? And, could one find an intake for a carb?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I don't think you will find much help on this, as most people like to go with the LS1 BECAUSE of the modern computer controls and FI. Stick with a crate motor if you must have a carb. Even if you were able to cludge something together (which I doubt given the design), people would think you are a retro-wierdo, not someone who knows what they are doing! Good luck

Reply to
scott

Check with intake mfg's, like in Jegs Auto Parts, etc online. There are several??(at least one!) who makes an int. for the similar, older LT1--we've used several where individuals replaced their LT1's and there was no tpi available, but 'core' was bought for tidy sum of $100. Used same LT1 water pump, and opening in rear of int. was there for using the HEI type distributor. We were quite surprised at the power and esp. the torque produced by the switch to carb! Know this is not LS1, but hopefully it may help. BTW: LT1's are much cheaper than LS1's. As Scott suggested, a crate engine, right now, may even be cheaper than a nice, used LS1 due to demand & somewhat short supply of LS1"s. It should be interesring for you to check prices on Ebay for LS1's & Google for direct-prices onGM crate engines. See link for Ebay & LS1. Luck to you, s

sdlomi2

for the info. On the LT1's Chevy sells a computer that mounts on theengine and only needs 12 volts to work. The Ram Jet 502 comes that way so Iwould assume the small blocks do too. Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks for the info. On the LT1's Chevy sells a computer that mounts on > the

Thanks for the info, but whenever we have the fi setup, we usually have the donor computer & harness as well--just modify it to destination car, like an '87 S10 Blazer I have. It uses Z28 eng., Z28-4L60E trans., Z28 comp. & wiring harness. Been troublefree for several years now. However, please tell me more specifics about this " On the LT1's Chevy sells a computer that mounts on the engine and only needs 12 volts to work." I never know enough to not learn more. I'm quite interested & it sounds like something our associates AND I could benefit from. Looking to hear back. s

Reply to
sdlomi2

> Thanks for the info. On the LT1's Chevy sells a computer that mounts on> > the

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to