Mounting AC condensor vertically?

I have a 46 chevrolet pickup project that I want to mount a AC condensor vertically in front of the radiator. Will this cause problems with operation or AC system or oil flow if the condensor is standing on end? All the tubes would be going vertically when they origionally were horizontal.

DB

Reply to
DB

The inlet must be at the top and the outlet at the bottom. Tubes horizontal. Discharge gas enters the top, condenses to a liquid and drains out the bottom.

Installing it vertically could be very bad. Your A/C wouldn't work well, but that's the least of your worries

Liquid could back up into the compressor then when you turn the A/C on you'll here a big BANG and possibly find pieces of your compressor on the ground. With the tube vertical you'll have "traps" where the liquid will sit creating a liquid seal. Start the compressor and you'll have a liquid slug that may blow out something.

Excellent source for information:

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

"Steve Mackie" wrote in news:Iou7j.30376$HH2.9706@edtnps82:

Thanks Steve Thats what I was suspecting but I needed a second opinion. Also, I don't believe that the compressor oil that circulates thru the system whould make thru a condenser set at 90 degrees and the compressor would lock up.

DB

Reply to
DB

Well, refrigerant oil is missable with halocarbons, so I wouldn't worry about the oil separating. Then again, I'm an ammonia guy, not a halocarbon guy.

On a side note, anyone know if the oil used in automotive A/C systems is typically mineral oil or POE?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

The newer stuff should be polyglycol based.

Reply to
HLS

Mineral oil in R-12 systems. POE in R-12 to R134 conversions when done half assed. PAG in OEM R-134 systems.

Reply to
aarcuda69062