no gauges in 98 malibu

My brother-in-law owns this 98 Malibu and said that suddenly has no gauges but dash lights and most idiot lights work. He says that they would start
working while driving but then quit all together Can't find any bad fuses or loose connections Does anyone have ideas of what to look for?

...a 2008 Camaro?.... Really, it sounds like an intermittent ground. Luck, s

I had the same problem on my 2000 Malibu. In addition, various other things weren't working - interior lights, fuel guage, etc. Turned out to be the ignition switch. Two or three of the metal contacts were so carboned up that current flow was affected. I'd be willing to bet that's your problem.
Doug