P0420 Catalyst Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1

This is the code I am getting on a 2000 Camaro SS with only 15,000 miles.

Seems to drive fine, I have only use premium fuel in it.

Should I just reset it or take it to the shop? Is this harmful to my car?

If I take it in ... what should I tell them so they don't soak me ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
buzzsaw

Shep

In fact GM Factory warrantee is 8/80 on cats not 7/70 Re: P0420 Catalyst Efficiency below Threshold Bank 1 Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Fri, May 27, 2005, 7:29am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@capital.net (Shep) If in fact the cat checks bad it is still under factory warrantee, 7/70. "buzzsaw" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... This is the code I am getting on a 2000 Camaro SS with only 15,000 miles. Seems to drive fine, I have only use premium fuel in it. Should I just reset it or take it to the shop? Is this harmful to my car? If I take it in ... what should I tell them so they don't soak me ? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Steve Cook

Reply to
Shep

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with a faulty cat on my 2003 astro van. My

60,000 warranty is up so I though I would go to my regular guys to take care of it. They sent me to the dealer after calling them to verify and the warranty here in Ontario Canada is 130,000 miles on the vehicle. Presently its being fixed at the GM dealer no charge. I have 108,000 km.
Reply to
Lanze

Just to verify its 130,000 warranty on the Cat converter for this vehicle. Costs was pegged at $1,100 Canadian dollars to replace. WTF $$$..........thankyou GM, I'm surprised to say the least.

Reply to
Lanze

Cat is mandated by EPA in US and probably some government agency in Canada and has nothing to do with the manufacturer. It is too bad so many people don't read their warranty before having work done. I have seen a lot of posts where people have paid to have the cat replaced when it would have been replaced under warranty. Also a lot still had the P0420 because it can also be caused by other things such as a bad O2 sensor and problems with the EGR.....

Reply to
Woody

Reply to
Shep

Thanks Steve, it is 130.000 km's not miles. Regards

Reply to
Lanze

I went to Autozone and reset the code. It has not come back on today with about 10 miles of use.

I keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help !

Reply to
buzzsaw