Play in the wheel bearing

I have a 98 Jimmy with grinding from the front wheel(s). I'm not sure which wheel - perhaps both.
The noise increases when I turn in either direction - would that mean CV
joints instead of bearings?
If I hoist the car and check for motion by pushing on the top and bottom of each wheel, how much play should there be normally?
Mike