Wheel bearing and free play

Hi all...

How much free play is acceptable when checking a wheel bearing? None at all, or is a little ok? I have a 1988 Nissan Bluebird 1.6LX that has started to make a worn bearing type noise when turning left, and sure enough when jacked up there's play in the offside-rear wheel. However, there's also play in the nearside-rear wheel, but not as much as in the offside-rear. It doesn't make any noises when turning right, so is the nearside bearing ok, or perhaps on the way out and worth replacing too?

TIA...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

In general, if it's an adjustable bearing it should have some play. Non adjustable ones, non.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware there were such things as adjustable bearings. It turns out that these are, and the procedure is in the Haynes, so I'll try tightening the offending one at the weekend (it only makes a noise on some left hand bends, not all, so I guess it's worth trying the adjustment before going for replacement). Thanks again.

...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

If it's noisy it's probably knackered. Luckily adjustable types are usually much easier to change than non adjustable ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nick Challoner pretended :

It should have the very tiniest amount of free play, the absolute minimum. I tighten them up spinning the wheel all the time - until I can just feel them bind, then just back it off until I feel the very slightest amount of movement.

If a bearing is noisy, replace it - it is unlikely to improve with adjustment. If one side is gone, do both sides.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Definitely has more than that on the noisy side.

Thanks for that.

Thanks for the advice (and similar from Dave). I think i'll try the adjustment first, just to get a feel for how that's done. I've already ordered two hub nut split pins from the dealer - one for the adjustment, and one for the replacement that will almost certainly have to follow! The Haynes said they should be replaced each time they're removed, although I guess a lot of people just re-use them?

...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

Nick Challoner presented the following explanation :

I re-use them for the none critical applications only. If these fail and fall out, you loose the entire wheel. No need to pay the dealer prices, just buy from any local car parts shop or buy a mixed bag for just a pound or two.

Providing the diameter is correct, the length is not too critical so long as they are long enough. If they are too long you can simply trim them down with a junior hacksaw.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They're soft enough steel to snip with side cutters or pliers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)