post mechanical answers to posted questions about General Motors vehicles?

Is the purpose of this newsgroup to post mechanical answers to posted questions about General Motors Vehicles?

Reply to
Charge

For the most part that is exactly what this is for. Post a question and hope for an answer...Every now and again someone gets a little silly and goes WAY out of their way to erk folks..(see previous posts). I have learned they call them trolls. For example the person who posted this and thinks they are slick.....Ken

Reply to
eightupman

It is not restricted to mechanical questions and answers. Often, you will see electrical and hydraulic items. Occasionally, you will see rumor, innuendo, and scuttlebutt.

---Bob Grosss---

Reply to
Robertwgross

"Charge" wrote

Nope, it's main purpose is for trolling and just generally stirring up the shit as much as possible.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"- Mr.C.J.-" wrote

I couldn't agree more. Which is why I don't buy their product, but I do enjoy repairing it. I should have lots of work until I stop pulling wrench's.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

And I had heard that you wouldn't say "shit", if you had a mouthful! *lol*

Ian, would you by any chance know if there's any truth to a rumour I heard that the North Star V8 engine is going into the Bonneville? Have you heard anything about it?

Reply to
Sting Ray

"Sting Ray" wrote

I don't "think" that anyone on here actually knows me in real life. I try to keep it clean for the trolls.

I've heard and read this. As far as I know, it will be slightly smaller.

4.4 litres is what I've heard, and that makes sense, as Cadillac will always want to have bragging rights to the most powerful Northstar. Even when they stuck the Northstar in the Olds, it was only a 4.0 litre version.

I love it....now the Pontiac techs can have a go at performing warranty repairs on the Northstar engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Isn't the Northstar one of their most reliable engines ?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

It is indeed very reliable to make your wallet lighter when or if something goes wrong. Or it leaks. :-)

Reply to
Dan---

*lol* I know what you mean. I've read some of your past posts and some of the pics you shared on the Northstar. I still can't believe the starter location! Is the repair frequency lessening as GM continues engine development? Or aren't they spending any $$$ developing the Northstar further?
Reply to
Sting Ray

"Sting Ray" wrote

They 'say' that they have made improvements. I'm thinking here of the problem areas. Overall, it is an excellent engine. Probably the best engine they use right now. We are noticing that the incidence of oil leaking Northstars is dropping off. Other then the fact that it's not real easy to make a lot of flat rate money working on the Northstars, I do enjoy working on them. Re-ringing a Northstar brings back memories of the days when you actually would repair an engine, instead of just replacing it.

The next nightmare is going to be the Cadillac rear wheel drive XLR. We've already started to get the special tools for it. I was looking at some gizmo that you need to 'align' the laser beam of the 'adaptive' cruise control. I guess this cruise control senses if you are coming up on traffic while on cruise and will back off your speed accordingly. What a mess...I hope that GM has done their homework and we don't see too many problems with this kind of stuff.

On a similar note, the 2004 Malibu will have an electric assist power steering rack! I remember mumblings about this type of thing back in the 80's. Of course, it's already on the back of the GM trucks. This will be nice for customers as it will eliminate power steering pump leaks and problems. We do a lot of work on these hydraulic systems, so it will mean less money for us. But then again, in all likelihood, the electric rack will screw up big time and we will be installing thousands of units.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

SR,

One Consumer Guide magazine I read recently said the Supercharged 3800 will not be offered in the SSEi.

The SSEi won't come out till January of 04 and will be equipped with a V8.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,800 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Newest Motor Trend lists the Bonneville GXP as getting the 4.6L Northstar. It's a new model in the Bonneville lineup...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Thanks for the info. Ian. That XLR is one sweet looking car!

Reply to
Sting Ray

Just curious....what do you buy?

Reply to
Brad Clarke

"Brad Clarke" wrote

I inherited my first car from the parents.... a big Ford XL. Then I bought a 70 Mustang Mach One....it was a good car, but needed body work which I never did do. Next was a 71 Roadrunner....I thoroughly enjoyed that car. Sold it when I got married, bought a

63 Rambler for a buck and drove it for quite a few years. What a great little car that was! Next was a 73 Volvo stationwagon that I got for a used camshaft and lifter set. The owner thought the timing chain had broken (turned out the engine had gears) and all that was wrong with it was the points needed to be adjusted. It was fuel injected and ran great for years. I particularly liked it as there was always plenty of room in that wagon for my radio controlled planes. Since then, it's been beater K-cars....with a 9 month stint with an old Cavalier. Oh, I have a 95 Lumina at the moment, but I only bought it to fix an engine problem and then sell it for a profit. Nice car, but it has the 3100 and I'm not interested in driving it for long.

The wife has had a Toyota Corona, and then an Audi 5000. It's time for a new car for her and I'm leaning towards Honda.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

[SNIP]

That's certainly a wide array of vehicles.

Have to agree on the wagon and RC planes. I tore the stabilizer off of my glider putting in the trunk of my first car (89 cavalier).

I've only ever owned Chevy's, and I have found so far that each one is a bit worse than the previous.

My current one will probably be my last.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke