Problem With Cadillac GPS

I own a 2001 Cadillac STS. We bought the car used and it came with a GPS mapping system. My problem is the system does not seem to recognize any cities or streets in our area (we live in North Dakota). The dealership tells
me it is simply a problem with the system. I can't believe it only recognizes one city in the state and think there must be a problem. Anybody have any ideas?
Do you have the latest map data? Map data is usually updated yearly and you have to purchase the media with the latest mapdata....

The dealership has ordered two new discs since October, and neither of them has made a correction to the problem. It just seems illogical that it will not map out anything other than major highways. It seems that something is not functioning properly, but the dealership just tells me that's the way it is? I have a disc that is from 2000 that works with a laptop or desktop pc and will map even the smallest towns in North Dakota. It seems to me that Cadillac should be able to do at least that good. That's why I think there's a problem with something in the car (something that should have been warrantee covered when we first started trying to fix the problem).