Cadillac STS transmission woes

We have a 1994 Cadillac STS with 65000 miles. The transmission started slipping, and the pan was full of metal particles. It will take $3300 to fix it.

Any one else with similar problems? Any help from GM? Sounds like very few miles for the transmission to go bad.

Thanks

Reply to
Anon

A trans can fail with low mileage or high mileage. With only 65,000 miles in 9 years how many times has the transmission oil been changed? Not changing the oil enough or at all because the car has such low mileage can be harmful, My mom has a 91 Cadillac Brougham with 49,000 miles and I think the trans oil was only changed one time in 13 years of ownership. Hardly any miles yes, but lot of age on the car. The car is only used 100 miles a month - if that..

One important quesion - Are any Teenagers driving your car ? This can shorten the life of a transmission.

When I had my trans rebuilt in 2001 with 192,000 miles the next car they did after mine was a 96 Seville. ( $3600 job ) One reason the cost is so high is virtually everything under the hood has to be disconnected or removed so the engine & trans can be lowered from the vehicle. My Trans man said the Seville trans remove & replace job is a total of 16 hours labor, just for R & R. Rebuilding is the easy part, its the removal & installation thats the problem.

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~261,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face