Replace Dodge Omni with...?

Could you knowledgable folk suggest a replacement for my '89 Dodge Omni America (aka Plymouth Horizon)? It's an automatic, 4 door hatchback. I want a similar, or slightly larger, 3 to 4 year old used car with good cargo space, to drive 5,000 miles/yr. without too much aggravation, despite my NYC metro location. :)

I like my Omni and want similar features:

1- Good mpg - 24/28 (better is better); 2- Small outside, roomy inside (15.6 cu.ft. "trunk" - more is more); 3- Hatchback & folding seat let me lug bulky or long stuff; hard hatch cover keeps stuff out of sight; 4- Peppy driving - always first away from red light w/o trying; 5- Inexpensive - to buy, operate & insure (relatively speaking); 6- Convenient - good visibility, easy to park, rear washer/wiper; 7- Simple & Sturdy - real bumpers, manual windows, locks, mirrors, etc. (only power steering), fuel injection, stainless steel exhaust (still OEM.)

Thanks for your input. Google hasn't helped much. - RDG

Reply to
rschng

If you're sticking with Chrysler... Chrysler Sebring or Dodge Stratus.

o It's slightly larger than the Omni - check o Is in your gas mileage range (even with the 2.7 V6) - check o 4 cylinder 150HP or 6 cylinder 200HP Peppy - Check for V6 Check minus for 4 o Folding split back seats - Check o Roomy trunk - Check (with hinges that stay out of the way!) o Roomy inside - check o Good price - check o Nimble, easy to park - check o Stainless steel exhaust - check o Maintenance insurance cost reasonable - check (about $800 for supplemental 6yr 60K) o Insurance rate good - check o Does not have "bumbers"( not sure you'll find real bumbers on anything built over the last decade or so) o No rear washer/wiper o Rear visibility is not good o Unsure about availability of manual windows/locks

Since you're in the GM NG, looking for a GM? Look at a Chevy Malibu

o It's slightly larger than the Omni - check o Is in your gas mileage range - check o 6 cylinder 170HP...Peppy - check o Folding split back seats - check o Roomy trunk - check (poor hinge design that get in the way when closed though!) o Roomy inside - check o Good price - check o Nimble, easy to park - check o Maintenance insurance cost reasonable? - GM maintenance insurance on this car is outrageous! (about $1,400 for 5yr 60K) o Stainless steel exhaust - check o Insurance rate cost - check minus (about 15% higher than Stratus) o Does not have "bumbers" either o No rear washer/wiper o Rear visibility is reasonable - check o Manual windows/locks - check (but may be hard to find)

Other GMs?

Pontiac Grand Am Buick models may be too pricey

I own the 2003 Malibu and my wife has the 2003 Stratus, makes it easy to compare. :-) Either will come close to fitting the bill based on the basic requirements you listed. If buying American is important (you didn't say) forget Chrysler, owned by Daimler so is a German company now.

Ford? Nothing there I can recommend.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Why not just rebuild it? Prolly cost you about the same as finding another vehicle, and you know you'll still like it.

Only *other* vehicle I could suggest is a Pontiac Firefly / Chevy Sprint / Geo Metro / Suzuki Swift. I blew away Trans Ams and Mustangs with it, and could still fit a dining room table and chairs behind the front seats.

The only PITA with that car is the friction fit front rotors *AARGH!*

Vuarra

Vuarra

Since the Omni was a clone of the VW Golf (nee Rabbit), why not try one of them? Design is almost identical, features are roughly equivalent, material quality has GOT to be superior, and I understand that used prices aren't that high. From what I hear, brakes are the a potential bugaboo, though my old Audi had front pads I could change in under 20 minutes using the oem jack, so it was just one step tougher than oil-changes.

Keep in mind, I've had a Neon (wouldn't recommend) and am currently in a Pontiac Vibe (definitely would, but it's outside your parameter of "3 to 4 year old")

I know it's not a hatchback but how about a Mercury Tracer wagon ? Or the Ford derivation. What's the price range ? Compact Wagons :

*But if you're set on a hatchback how about a Honda Civic ?Coupes/Hatchbacks :
*

Reply to
Chris Moore

Get an Azcrak those things are pretty cool.

Reply to
Baboo

dodge stratus dodge neon

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~261,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

C'mon now ...lets get real.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Then they were not trying.....

Reply to
eightupman

SAAB 9-3

Reply to
Why

Thanks to all for your information. It's very helpful. The cars that have been suggested to me most often are the VW Golf, Ford Focus, Ford Escort, Honda Civic and Dodge Neon, including wagons. So I'll start looking harder at these and move out from there until I have a short list of good replacements. For those who asked, my Omni's reached the point of diminishing returns - I'll spend more time fixing it than using it; I can't work on it myself & I haven't found a mechanic I'm happy with; and I'm getting tired of driving a jalopy. Guess it's time for a (small) change. Thanks again. - RDG

Reply to
rschng

Chevy Geo. Available parts & service. Honda Civic is probably the best small car, quality wise.

Reply to
Bill Freeman