S10 SS 4.3 HO

I have a 94 S10SS 4.3 HO engine in a parts truck which i am probably going to use for parts for my 96. I don't need the engine (mine is a 2.2), and it knocks anyway. What was special about the SS HO 4.3's?
Would it be worth saving the whole engine or heads and manifold? Are they special from a standard 4.3?
I am thinking about using the rear end off the 94. Should the rear end from the 94 SS work in my 96 2.2? I know some of the rear ends had a longer nose piece on them. And different track widths. Both trucks had Anti lock (which is different), but as far as i can tell there is no anti lock sensors on either rear end. I think the 94's is a 3.46 and should be a limited slip.
The trannie seems to be OK, but i think the 94 4l60E's did not have the removable bell housing so i could use it on a 2.2
Bob
-
| I have a 94 S10SS 4.3 HO engine in a parts truck which i am probably | going to use for parts for my 96. I don't need the engine (mine is a | 2.2), and it knocks anyway. What was special about the SS HO 4.3's? | Would it be worth saving the whole engine or heads and manifold? Are | they special from a standard 4.3? | | I am thinking about using the rear end off the 94. Should the rear end | from the 94 SS work in my 96 2.2? I know some of the rear ends had | a longer nose piece on them. And different track widths. Both trucks | had Anti lock (which is different), but as far as i can tell there is | no anti lock sensors on either rear end. I think the 94's is a 3.46 and | should be a limited slip. | | The trannie seems to be OK, but i think the 94 4l60E's did not have the | removable bell housing so i could use it on a 2.2 | | Bob |
Your gear ratio on the '94 may be a 3.42/1 or 3.73/1 and the 2.2 ratio IE 4.10/1 or 4.27/1. The VIN #'s will show what they are. There may be a metal tag showing the ratio. The 2.2 may not have the torque to pull the lower ratio IMO.
--
Jarhead

Jarhead wrote:

which is a 4.10 (no g80). I have not got possession of the 94 ss yet, but it seems 3.42 is likely. The question is how much more of a dog will the 2.2 be if i put the 3.42 in? Then, i have to change the sensor in the trannie to correct the spedo?
The 96's rear has a clunk in it and a axle seal leaking. SO this looked like a good opportunity to fix the problem. The truck was in a hard hit to the passenger rear before i got it and i was suspicious that the axle housing might have been slightly off in some way.
Bob
-
<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>>
|| > Your gear ratio on the '94 may be a 3.42/1 or 3.73/1 and the 2.2 ratio | > IE 4.10/1 or 4.27/1. The VIN #'s will show what they are. There may be a | > metal tag showing the ratio. The 2.2 may not have the torque to pull the | > lower ratio IMO. | > | Well, i was wrong on the 96's ratios. The RPO on the glove box is gt5, | which is a 4.10 (no g80). I have not got possession of the 94 ss yet, | but it seems 3.42 is likely. The question is how much more of a dog will | the 2.2 be if i put the 3.42 in? Then, i have to change the sensor in | the trannie to correct the spedo? | | The 96's rear has a clunk in it and a axle seal leaking. SO this looked | like a good opportunity to fix the problem. The truck was in a hard hit | to the passenger rear before i got it and i was suspicious that the axle | housing might have been slightly off in some way. | | Bob
According to my calculator the % difference between 3.42 and 4.10 is around 17%. This is about the difference between 235X75R15 and 33X9.50X15 tires.
I had a '87 4X4 SC PU with the 22R (carb eng) that had 33's on it when I bought it. I couldn't use 5th gear at all. The odometer was at least 15% off as well. I put 235's on it and the truck performed like it was meant to.
--
Jarhead

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>>
|| > Your gear ratio on the '94 may be a 3.42/1 or 3.73/1 and the 2.2 ratio | > IE 4.10/1 or 4.27/1. The VIN #'s will show what they are. There may be a | > metal tag showing the ratio. The 2.2 may not have the torque to pull the | > lower ratio IMO. | > | Well, i was wrong on the 96's ratios. The RPO on the glove box is gt5, | which is a 4.10 (no g80). I have not got possession of the 94 ss yet, | but it seems 3.42 is likely. The question is how much more of a dog will | the 2.2 be if i put the 3.42 in? Then, i have to change the sensor in | the trannie to correct the spedo? | | The 96's rear has a clunk in it and a axle seal leaking. SO this looked | like a good opportunity to fix the problem. The truck was in a hard hit | to the passenger rear before i got it and i was suspicious that the axle | housing might have been slightly off in some way. | | Bob
According to my calculator the % difference between 3.42 and 4.10 is around 17%. This is about the difference between 235X75R15 and 33X9.50X15 tires.
I had a '87 4X4 SC PU with the 22R (carb eng) that had 33's on it when I bought it. I couldn't use 5th gear at all. The odometer was at least 15% off as well. I put 235's on it and the truck performed like it was meant to.
--
Jarhead

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
Jarhead wrote:

Now assuming i did the swap and changed the trannie speed sensor, what controls the trannie shift points? Since its a 4l60E its electronic. so its the computer that's shifting it. I wonder if the computer would have to be changed to or if just changing the trannie sensor will solve the shift point? Or is it strictly RPM based?
Bob
-