Service 4WD Light

Why does the servie 4wd light come on and go off occasionally on my 2001 Silverado? I have no idea what triggers it.

there are mainly 2 problems we see with the service 4wd lights. Either a problem with the switch itself or a problem with the hall effect switch in the t-case actuator assembly..without a tech II handy to pull the codes out I would most definltely purchase and install a new switch to try....