"Service 4wd" light

I have a 99 gmc yukon and sometimes the service 4wd light comes on, when it's on the 4wd buttons dont light up and nothing happens when I push them. If the service light doesnt come on when I start my truck, then the buttons work and the 4wd does turns on when I push the button. Then I turn the truck off and then turn it back on sometimes the serviece 4wd the light comes on again, then the 4wd buttons dont work again. I took it to the chevy dealer and they said it was the transfer case shift module, code 0315. They want to charge me $600 to fix it... So my question is, if you think it really is the shift module, and if it is, is it easy to change the module myself and how much does the module cost? Also is there a easy way to reset the service 4wd dtc light, because then my 4wd will work if i ever need it. I used to have a dodge dakota and used to be able to reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery, i tried that with this truck but it didnt work, is there some other way to reset it or a specific amount of time I'm supposed to leave the battery disconnected?

Any ideas would be great

Reply to
Nick

the module for ur truck will probally run aroun 420 bucks from the dealer and it may be behind the kick panel on the right side of the truck (right below the glove box all the way to the right hand side of the truck on the wall behind a plastic panel)

Reply to
Adam F.

These 4x4 Dash push buttons (4) have a history of cold solder joints...

About $50 to replace the dash push button unit or remove & resolder the back side wires.... My 00 Silverado button fixed under warranty.

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

It was the buttons on my 00 Silverado. Cost me $50 and I installed it myself. I have heard of many others with this problem since then, if I had it to do over I would have tried to re-solder it first (you can always replace it if you screw it up).

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

How do I get behind the buttons to replace or solder, do I have to take off the whole dash panel to get to them or do I just pull out the buttons themselves?

Reply to
Nick

You pull the trim off by hand then you will find a few screws holding the button assembly. After you remove the screws you can pull the assembly out far enough to unplug the wire harness. If you are going to try and solder the old assembly you will need to take it apart to get to the printed circuit board (this is what needs to be re-soldered).

Al Bottoms Up Diver

Reply to
ajtessier