Toyota aims to replace GM as the largest automaker in the world

Page 1 of 3
Toyota just announced $10B profits and the goal to "match" GM's worldwide 15% market share by 2015. One can reasonably assume that they do not intend
to stop there.
You can read the article at:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?articleq42
It is only a matter of time until GM is no longer the worlds largest auto maker.
Sad, but I see nothing GM is doing which has any hope of stopping Toyota's relentless advance against them.
Ford, by the way, already gave up. They now say that "profits", not "market share" are their goal. The problem with a profits first strategy is that it is a short run strategy and does not fit a mass market player.
John
What does GM expect? Hell, they're moving more and more of their production to Mexico! The goddamn Avalanche and Silverado trucks are made in Mexico. Most Toyotas and also most Hondas are almost all made here in the US. They can't expect loyalty if they move production out of the USA. For the time being, I'll continue driving American cars, the ones built here anyway.

Justin wrote:

Can't compete with factories in countries that don't have to pay taxes to the govenment, or pay their employees enough so they can pay income tax and social security. Social Security payments by employer and employee alone add about 15% to the price of an american made car. If they taxed imports for those items it would be a different market.
Then to make matters worse when they add on "Value Added" (Sales tax).
True, but there are costs associated with moving factories to Mexico or elsewhere: shutting down perfectly good plants here in the US (loss of capital they had tied up in factories here), having to build new factories in Mexico, additional costs for transporting some of the materials there and for transporting the finished products back here, having to move key employees down there to oversee operations, plus losing long term market share (by pissing off American consumers who prefer their cars to be built here instead of in Mexican sweatshops) and by an ever increasingly less afluent American base (caused by our jobs being sent to foreign countries). All of these are costs/factors associated with producing vehicles in other countries. I'd be interested to know how much exactly (by percentage) American auto manufacturers actually save (after taking all of the above into consideration) by moving south of the border. I bet it's a relatively small amount, 3 or 4%, but even this small savings will make the greedy bean counters want to move to Mexico, even though the long term economic impact to the co. is going to be severe.

When will all these companies realize that when they move jobs overseas to build products there and ship them back, they are cutting their own throat? sooner or later there will be no more americans with jobs (because they have all been outsourced!) to buy their products, and at that point they can't even sell them in the 3rd world countries they are built in since they have been paying them pennies a day and wouldn't be able to afford a $30K truck even with their entire lives earnings!

HRL wrote:

That's all bull. Toyota and Honda do just fine in the U.S. GM and Ford's continual whining is annoying. They just want more profit, pure and simple.
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Those are automated assembly plants. The parts all come from Japan.
bull. Toyota and Honda do just fine in the U.S. GM and

You do not know what you are talking about.
John
Are you really that uninformed? GM and Ford makes over 80% of the vehicles they sell in the US, in the US, a lot more than does Toyota or Honda and they make them of more American made parts as well. GM and Ford could earn more profit if they could operate in the US as do the Japanese. That is sell their vehicles for 20 to 30 percent more, pay their employees nearly 20 percent less, offer them fewer benefits and less desirable pensions, use more than half imported parts like Toyota and Honda, some vehicles as high as 80%, and move their corporate headquarters offshore to avoid US corporate taxes, like the Japanese. LOL
mike hunt
Joseph Oberlander wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in

The US automakers can pay their employees 20% less with less pensions. And there'd still be thousands applying at the factories. The goddamned unions would rather there be NO jobs than take a 20% pay concession. There's plenty of us Americans, me included, who would love a good job at an auto factory. As it is, I'm competing in a tough job market for low paid shit service jobs. A lot of the competition for these jobs comes from retired UAW members and Teamsters (many are only 40-50). They got their shot to make a lot of money and retire after 20 years with a decent retirement package (before the jobs left), and now they're taking service jobs so they can supplement their pensions and buy bigger boats and hot tubs.
The earliest a UAW worker can retire is at age 50, with a minimum of thirty years service. The pension is about half of what it would be if he was 65 with the same years of service. If you are willing to work in the auto industry for lower wages and fewer benefits and a lower pension, you can do so. Go work for Toyota, just chose one of their non union plants.
mike hunt
Justin wrote:

Along with being by far the world's most profitable automaker, Toyota is also the one most valued by shareholders. The total value of Toyota's stock was $113 billion when the market closed last week.
That's more than double the combined value of GM ($25 billion) and Ford ($27 billion). And it's nearly as much as the combined values of DaimlerChrysler ($43 billion), Nissan ($40.5 billion) and Honda ($39 billion).
GM has no one to blame but themselves... Anyone remember the 'road to redemtion' campain? Finally admitting they built crap for years and now they want people to trust them again? The old saying 'Fool me once... Fool me twice...'
John Horner wrote:

No big loss. I could live without Ford.
Sounds like a boxer before a fight saying how he's going to win. Funny thing is, both boxers claim to be the future victor, but only one ends up that way. As far as actual fact right now, GM is still the heavyweight champion of the world. We'll see what happens later, but I'll wait to see.
wrote:

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.

In terms of profitability, customer perception and investor perception Toyota has already won.
GM forgot how to really lead in the 1980s and shows little sign of ever regaining it's former glory.
John

I must be really, Really, REALLY Twisted. I like the Majority of GM products made from The erly 80's to the mid 90's.
Look at them old 80's Cavaliers. I still see heards of 1.8 1982 Cavaliers on the road, chugging on. The later 80's models are better mechanically. But you just can't beat the box car J bodies.
Even the Citations X-11's are kind of cool. Imaging dropping a 3.4 Twin Dual cam in it (Z-34 2 cams per head V6).
The 80's were the best years for Chevy Full Size 73-87 C/K and 88 to 91 R/V (R=2WD C-30 Cab & Chassis, Blazer, & Suburban, V=4WD).
The 80's is when GM brought out the Astro, the Real Mini-Van. RWD, Guts enough to tow, and suspension that handles a load.
The 80's saw some of the best looking F-cars made, and some of the best Handling.
The 80's also brought us the LT-5 Powered ZR-1 Corvettes, a Murcrusier Marine Engine. Murcrusier engines in boats make me drool. Drop one in a car, better bring buckets, and lots of them baby!
And how can we forget the one year only Tubro 3.1 V6 Gran Prix? Sleeper FWD!
Or the Ultra Cool rides. Like the GN-X, the GMC AWD Brother the Typhoon & Syclone. Or the Ultra Wicked Turbo Trans Am
Maybe GM just didn't do enough advertising in the 80's, cause the rides kicked ass, and make most of todays production look like crap in a diper. Charles
I'll second that!
I had a few 80's and 90's cab and chassis. Some still going, where are the Fords that I owned?
Found On Roar Dead!
Refinish King

"John Horner" wrote in message news:

IMHO, Toyota's biggest talent is in marketing...convincing the press and the public that their rather undistinguished cars are high quality. The Camry seems to be a decent enough car, but the rest of their line up is nothing to write home about. Their trucks are pathetic, and their cheaper cars are, well, cheap cars.
Where did those figures on company stock value come from? A Toyota press release? Smells more than a little fishy to me.

From the Detroit Free Press - the largest newspaper in Detroit and the state of Michigan (Home of GM/FORD)!!!
Here is the link: http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/earn17_20040517.htm
Scroll down about half way thru for the following paragraph:
Along with being by far the world's most profitable automaker, Toyota is also the one most valued by shareholders. The total value of Toyota's stock was $113 billion when the market closed last week. That's more than double the combined value of GM ($25 billion) and Ford ($27 billion). And it's nearly as much as the combined values of DaimlerChrysler ($43 billion), Nissan ($40.5 billion) and Honda ($39 billion).

Ya know, picking on people who know cars, in a car group is a No-No. Especially people who really know their shit.
Maybe ya aught to wise up before going off firing blanks. Charles