How to replace LEDs in e36 instrument cluster?

I have a 1995 M3 with three LEDs out in the dash -- dark spots in the speedo, fuel gauge, and tach. How hard is it to replace these myself?

How hard is it to pull the cluster? Can I buy individual LEDs to replace those that are kaput? From Radio Shack maybe? Can I swap them in myself with my trusty solder gun?

Thanks,

Randy

Reply to
Randy

LEDs? I think you have three burned out lamps.

We are talking about the lamps that illuminate the instruments, right? Those are lamps, not LEDs. And, yes you can replace them once you get the instrument panel out. They should be common lamps, but you may find that the dealership is the only source.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's impossible to replace those LEDs. But the small incandescent instrument bulbs are not nearly so bad. Luckily for you that's what you have to replace as there are no LEDs in the areas that you mentioned.

Finding the right ones is always a trick. Use this site to find what you need:

Then, my best source for buying them has been:

Malt_Hound

You don't really have to pull the cluster in order to replace these bulbs (not LED's). All of these bulbs are mounted on little plastic carriers that can be removed from the backside (really the frontside) of the cluster with a quarter turn motion. Access is gained by removing the trim panel under the instrument cluster.

Reply to
Jack

Jack wrote: ...

Excellent, and encouraging! Thanks for the info, guys.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Hi Jack.

I have a 1993 E36 318i.

My right indicator is blown. Does the same procedure apply to me?

Reply to
dJTep (spare2)

Yes. The turn signal bulbs are the easiest to find because they are the highest ones but they are the most difficult to remove because the are somewhat hidden by the shape of the bowls for the tach and speedo. Stick a mirror up there first so you're sure what you're after.

Reply to
Jack