Transmission Dip Stick for Late Model GM Cars

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know of a company make an after market Transmission Dip Stick for Late Model GM Cars that are built without one?
I would find this a useful addition to allow me to check fluid level and
add fluid if necessary.
TIA,
Larry
Larry Winkler wrote:

Don't know of any that are built without one unless it's a manual trans. Want to, oh I don't know, MAYBE MENTION WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE YOU WANT INFO ABOUT?
HeHe, really, that would be helpful as all get-out.....
FBR wrote:

http://lokar.com/interior_pages/transdipstick.htm
1999 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L V6 Auto and 2002 Sunfire 2.2L ECOTECH Auto.
I was under the impression that GM had discontinued the dip stick in all of their late model cars.
FBR wrote:

Larry Winkler wrote:

those are just custom accesories. I don't know of any automatic transmission equipped vehicle that doesn't come with a dipstick.
--
It is better to burn out than to fade away.
cavalier_man_93 wrote:

GM's have not had dipsticks for about 5 years now. I don't know of any retrofits though.
Paul wrote:

cavalier_man_93 wrote:

Well, wait until you get a newer Cavalier. Then you will all of a sudden become quite aware of an automatic transmission that doesn't come with a dipstick.
Ian

I wasn't aware of that. I guess i'm just old school.
--
It is better to burn out than to fade away.
cavalier_man_93 wrote:

Same here. I was amazed and appalled when I found out that GM was building cars without such an obviously necessary part no longer there.
I guess a person could pull the pan, weld in an adapter, and then use one of those Lokar O-ring dipsticks. Or depending on the fill-hole maybe install one there.
How long until the hood can't be opened without a special tool that only GM dealers have?

It is better to burn out than to fade away.
cavalier_man_93 wrote:

Hey, what hood?
The writing's on the wall. Look at other things around you - your tv set, your toaster, your computer, your digital camera...
Like them, you'll use your car until it breaks, then throw it away (paying for the privilege of filling the landfill) and buy another. Probably made in China. From WalMart.
I wish I was kidding.
Ken
cavalier_man_93 wrote:

Know what kills me? When building a hotrod, or retrofitting older cars with a GM small block, it is so easy. Carb, takes one fuel line. HEI, one hot wire from the ignition. Alternator, one wire again. Hell, even if you go fuel injected the control computer harness is just for the FI and required sensors. They don't tie the radio, brakes, tranny, and door locks/window into it.
Don't get me started on the whole idea of a "floating ground".
Look at a wiring harness for a late model GM. Looks like Murphy, the god of things that can go wrong, pissed all over under the hood and under the dash and wherever the urine splattered, wiring was installed.
Course look back at Chryslers first trys. Can you say, "Lean Burn Engine"? Two worse things for electronic components, heat and vibration. Where did they mount the control computer? On the air cleaner. Oh boys, WTF were you thinking?
I know, I know. Todays cars are allegedly ever so much better. I call BS. You can build a PC from parts from different manufacturers because companies agreed on a standard to build to so thier shit would all work together. Then software is written to run on a set platform. Car companies could do the same and then just have a seperate chip or software for each make/model. It would standardize testing and parts. Will they ever do it? Why? Then they couldn't gouge the heck outta of the consumer.
I could go on but I need a drink and a breath of air. After that I'll probably find something else to rant about.......
FBR wrote:

Why do you think it's a "necessary" part? If the trans doesn't leak fluid, the level won't go down. If you develop a leak, you fix it and top up the fluid. Checking these transmissions is not hard, you unscrew a small plug that is fairly easy to access, run the vehicle in park, and pour in the fluid until it comes out the level hole. Again, guaranteed not to overfill the trans, which may be what GM had in mind when doing this.

Probably easier to just learn where the level plug is.

Oh, it's coming. I believe they are working on 30K mile oil change intervals...or something to that effect. Basically, they don't really want anyone opening the hood for a long time. This will bite them and the consumer in the ass, but you can't reason with them. Oh well, we technicians will have to be there to pick up the pieces and "charge" a whole lot for it....(grin)
Ian
It happens about once a day where I work that we can't open a hood without one person pulling the release while another person bangs on the hood. Seems these particular vehicle's owners are just what GM is looking for. lol GW
shiden_kai wrote:

Drop the late model. My 96 doesn't have one......

Woody wrote:

No tranny dipstick since '96 at least, wow.
Questions for ya:
1. How many miles? 2. Any tranny problems? 3. Have you done service/had service done on the tranny?
I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect as my cavalier ages. :)
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

transmission pan where the manual says you check the fluid. No dipstick for the transmission.
--

Drum-

cavalier_man_93 wrote:

The Pontiac Grand Am from 2002-onwards, Oldsmobile Alero from 2002 onwards, Chevy Malibu from 02 onwards, Pontiac Sunfire from '03 onwards and the Chevy Cavalier from 2003 onwards have transmissions that do not have dipsticks. The lack of dipstick may actually go back to earlier model years.
Page 5-19 of the 2004 Chevy Cavalier's owner manual:
"AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID - It is not necessary to check the transaxle fluid level. A transaxle fluid leak is the only reason for fluid loss. If a leak occurs, take the vehicle to the dealership service department and have it repaired as soon as possible. You may also have your fluid level checked by your dealer or service center when you have your oil changed."
While nice of GM to think so, even if I went by their assumptions I don't always have a cardboard or paper layunder handy to slide underneath my car to detect such leaks (in fact that's kind of rare that I do have one). So why they decided to remove the dipstick, so that I could not make sure the transaxle *isn't* leaking, is beyond me. And to be honest, GM dealers sometimes can't be arsed to check the fluid level either, seeing as the actual procedure is a royal pain the neck to do (put the car on a lift, let the engine run to normal operating temperature, then slowly add a very small amount of transaxle fluid and wait for a small amount of fluid to leak from a weephole somewhere underneath the vehicle to let you know the fluid level is okay), compared with just pulling a dipstick and checking the level that way.
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.