Update on 2006 Impala Impressions

Page 2 of 2
80 Knight ,
Were you beamed into the glove box of the 89 Cavalier by Scotty? I had an 89 Cav Z - 24 convertible and there was plenty of room for 2 in the
front. And we all know I'm the biggest griper here when it comes to complaining about cramped interiors. It was satisfactory for the size of car it was.

I only wish Scotty was still around to beam me into it. But, I am used to the Bonnie's, so to me it seemed quite cramped. That and myself and the owner of the car are fair sized guys. As for cars I have owned, the '82 Trans Am was the smallest. All others have been Bonnies, Grand Prix's and a Cutlass Supreme, so you can see why I found it small.

Bad news. Scotty is dead.
I just test drove a 2006 Impala SS with the V8 engine. It has awesome power for freeway merging, and you can not feel the Displacement on Demand cylinder cutoff at all while driving. It switches 4 cylinders off for cruising to get the EPA mileage estimates of 28 highway. Roy

Steve Mackie wrote:
<snip>
just discovered another design issue with my '05 this AM that I am curious if it's been fixed for '06. Last night it snowed for the first time since I got the car. As is my habit, when I got home, I tried to prop the wiper blades up to keep them from freezing to the windshield. Well, due to their semi-hidden design, you can't do that. So I turned the key on, ran the wipers until they were all the way up, then turned the key off. Still can't prop them up - the arms don't go "over center" like every single car I've ever owned built since the early 80s. It's been years since I've had to carry toilet paper tubes/little pieces of wood/a pair of ice scrapers to prop up the wiper blades on my car... come on GM!
To make matters worse, this AM I went from moving my landlady's Nissan pickup, which has the headlight control on the wiper stalk, straight to my Impala... yup, you guessed it, scratch one pair of wiper blades.
nate

Yes, my 03 Malibu was the same. You couldn't lift the wiper arms up off of the glass where they would stay up on their own. Dumb design. What was worse, ice would build up in the cavity that the arms park in and lock the wipers in there. It was really nice to find that out when needing to clear the windshield from road spray and can't. Lesson, thoroughly clean out snow and ice from the wiper cavity, even if it doesn't look like much is in there and it takes another 5-minutes. Pick all of the ice out!
Both wiper issues shouldn't exit in today's design. This item was been figured out in the industry years ago (except by GM, apparently)
You want to hear one even stranger. A buddy of mine has a 2004 Silverado. He can't lift the wipers to stay off of the glass. He had a 2000 Silverado...that one he could. Boy was he pissed the first time the weather was calling for freezing rain while we were at the office. Why go backwards with the design?

To save money.
Spam Hater wrote:

They could have gotten rid of the automatic headlights and DRLs instead, and nobody would care. As it is, I have a lot of features I could care less about but I'm still annoyed about a) the wipers and b) the lack of a fold down rear seat.
nate