With so many toyota lovers on the gm newsgroup I wanted to post this

Page 1 of 2
My aunt always has a new lexus, doesn't keep them any longer than a few years. She took the car in for service on the transmission, a recall I believe. The dealer had the car for 1 month. After picking the car up and
driving it a while she began noticing a strange noise. She took it back to the dealer and they diagnosed a bad fly-wheel. The charge for the fly-wheel repair was over $1000.00. They argued with the dealer that it did not have a problem prior to them repairing the transmission, but the dealer would not accept responsibility for the problem.
Another dealer also had another of her cars in for body work after an accident. It sat on their lot for 6 to 8 weeks without repairs even being started. When they finally became upset with the dealer, the dealer had a wrecker drop the car off in front of their home beside the curb, still wrecked. They had to find another dealer to make the repairs. They live about 60 miles from the nearest dealer.
My 96 chevy p/u has 267,000 miles and still runs great. And my local gm dealership treats me very well.
gnman

Based on your insightful information. I'm not buying a Lexus, but rather a Chevy PU with at least 260k on it so I know it will be dependable. thanks for the info.
You are right about the cost of Lexus parts. I owned three of them before I switched to domestics. I never had a problem with any of mine that was not covered by the warranty since I replace my vehicles every two years. My one son-in-law has my last Lexus, a 97 which now has around 100K on the clock. Several month ago the PS pump went out. The dealer wanted $3,600 to do the job. He bought one that was used, on EBay for $1,500, and changed it himself. Last week the electronic dash gave out. The dealer wants $4,000 to just REPAIR, not replace the part. I don't knew what he will do now He wants me to sell him my 2005 Lincoln LS Sport, but I keep that at my Key West home for when I go down
mike hunt

It is amazing how many cars you have had over the years and so many of them Toyotas
You also seem to have worked in all the car factories and the dealerships at the same time
I am schysophrenic and so am I
Just exactly which Lexus model was it that a power steering pump for a '97 costs $1500 (used).
As for the electroluminiscent dash, they do eventually go out and are not cheap to fix, but a little searching on the internet reveals people who repair the things for a few hundred bucks. Annoying, but not shocking.
Finally, anyone who takes a common 9 year old luxury model to the dealer for repairs is either very, very rich or was born just about yesterday.
- nopcbs

before
was
the
he
Hmmmmm... a quick google search turns up SteeringPumps.com as the first site in a search using "97 lexus power steering pump". All models of Lexus are listed - not a pump over $300 in the list. New! Most under $200. Methinks your son-in-law got screwed in a big way. Or he's BS'ing you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Or... he has more money than brains. $1500 for a $150 pump is something in the order of stupid. But - it's his money, so who am I to comment?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Good you did. Mike Hunt's intent was to spread exaggerated nonsense about Lexus replacement parts costs and you can count on him (anti-import bias) to wildly exaggerate real world costs that would be paid by any sensible person.
I worry about his boy, though. Either he is very rich (and does not mind being ripped off) or Mike brought him up to be really, really naive.
- nopcbs

Call a Lexus dealer and ask the price of a new pump. I'll believe your price when you show me a receipt for a new PS pump for less. LOL
mike hunt

Ignorance is bliss Mike. You could simply do a little research on your own and then you'd know. Hell - your son-in-law might even benefit from it next time around since he's obviously not bright enough to check out these things himself.
I think rather than bother to show you anything, I'll simply take your approach and reply that I'll believe what you say after you produce a receipt for a PS pump for $1500 from e-bay or $3000 from the dealer. Until then it's just more smoke from you Mike.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
After driving & racing GM cars most of my life (i'm62 now) GM went to hell in a handbasket when the headliners fell in the late 70s and just got worse as the years went by, Own a Toyota for a while and see for yourself why Toyota is beating GM to death,

I wholeheartedly disagree. GM has indeed had some problems over the past 10 years that they damned well should have fixed a long time ago, but they've also produced a great line up of cars in other respects. Well worth the money. I won't let GM off the hook for the intake gasket issue, and I'm not much more gentle when it comes to their fuel pumps (they could at least have an access panel built in under the rear seat), but those two problems don't make the cars junk by a long shot.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Beating GM? That may be you opinion but certainly is not the opinion of most buyers. GM, as well as Ford, sell millions more of their vehicles annually in the US than does Toyota, or any other foreign manufacture for that matter..
mike hunt

GM loses more money on their vehicles annually in the US than does Toyota, or any other foreign manufacture for that matter..

GM actually went slightly into the black during the first quarter 2006. Some analysts still see them as being deeply in trouble, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
My wife actually wanted to buy a Toyota Camry at one time, back in 94. We went to our local dealer, which at that time sold Buick, Pontiac, GMC, and Toyota. We test drove a Camry, LeSabre and Bonneville. After driving them she decided on the Bonneville SSEi, which rode better and had many more features than the others for about the same money as the less equipped Camry. I can remember her saying the Camry just sounded and felt cheap during the test drive. We have replaced the alternator a few times but it has been a great car. We still have the SSEi with over 170,000 miles although it's just kind of an extra car.
I guess there's nobody else around to fix cars where your auntie lives, other than the dealers??
Classic Story!
Harryface
Being forced to use dealership mechanics and parts can be a horror story, no matter what the brand.
Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Mon, May 15, 2006, 10:05am (EDT+4) From:
Being forced to use dealership mechanics and parts can be a horror story, no matter what the brand.
I agree completely. I've met some bad dealers and they were from various automotive brands. I currently go to a truely great Chevy dealer and I have another one 400 miles away that I use if I'm traveling and have problems at his end.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~