'00 honda civic will not start

I'm not the most car savvy person, but I know enough to keep it running.
I have a 00 Civic DX, recently had engine work (broken crank shaft) at 73000
miles. Replaced battery about 3 weeks ago, drove car to work this morning at 8 am, came out for lunch at 1 and car will not start. Car is manual transmission, battery seems to be functioning properly as well as alternator. Any ideas? Car was functioning properly as far as I could tell this morning, is there any way I can start it? I've heard about pushing a manual and getting it to start but have never attempted it myself.
More detail's needed. When you turn the key in the ignition, do you hear the starter trying to turn the engine over? Or is it pretty quiet with only clicking sounds?
What signs are there that the battery is functioning properly?
Check the battery terminal connections for reasonable tightness, meanwhile.

when turn key, interior lights/radio/etc come on, no sound of engine attempting to turn over, almost completely silent. i've had my fair share of dead batteries and recognize the sound a car will make with no juice, and that isn't what's happening either. checked terminal hookups, tight as tight can be. Elle wrote:

Ignition switch problems are where I would be looking next. See http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#ignitionswitch .
It's a little ambiguous as to whether this would apply to a 2000 Honda. Still this newsgroup has seen a helluva lot of ignition switch failures. Based on that, eliminate it next. Or it might be the problem.

pop the clutch. Voila car should start.

...as long as you put it in gear...preferably second....

"ALMOST" completely silent? "Almost"?
There's a lot of portent in that "almost".
What kind of noise /do/ you hear? It is /very/ critical that you /accurately/ report your observations!
Do you hear a sort of clicking or chattering? Even a very quiet one?
When you try to crank, does the dome light dim slightly or not at all?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
lwilkerson83 wrote:

Read through this thread:
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t 252&highlight=solenoid+stranded
'Curly'

by "not start",does he mean "not CRANK"??? or does it crank but not start/run?
I wonder how he broke a crankshaft?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik