01 Accord, engine rattle off idle

Hi guys,
Just bought an 01 Accord coupe EX with 110,000 km on it. Everything seems great with it so far but I have noticed that there's a bit of a rattling
sound from the engine if I gently rev it off idle to around 1000 rpm. It almost sounds like a diesel idling, and if I had to say, I would say it's coming from the exhaust manifold area. It's not there at idle and goes away above around 1200 rpm -- maybe an exhaust manifold crack or leak??
JM wrote:

----------------------
Just search this NG for 'catalytic converter'.
The heat shield rusts and then buzzes at certain RPM. You can remove it and bend it and put it back on or wrap a huge plumbing clamp around it.
'Curly'

Thanks I'll look into that. I also was reading Tegger's FAQ and found the bit about the a-pipe rattle, so maybe that's it.

Not likely on a car that new.
jim is right; the heat shields rust loose with the regularity of the seasons.
Safely jack the car up and tap the (cold) exhaust with a finger until you find the shield that's rattly. A big worm-drive hose clamp will shut it up.
You can replace the shields, but they can run over $20 each, and they're a pain to replace. I only replace mine once they start getting holes in them. Actually, both my cat shields are getting holey right now, so I'll replace them this summer.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Sorry... CURLY is right!