Help w/ Engine Rattle '01 9-3SE

Hello All. Last evening just before turning off the car (after a typical 30 minute commute [20 minute at highway speeds, then light traffic for 10 minutes]), I noticed a rattle noise coming from the front right of the engine compartment (USA driver; 5 speed). The noise would start then fade... wait 3 to 7 seconds then start and fade... This morning at start-up, no noise. However, after commuting to work, the "fading" rattle reappeared! Same behavior/cycle as last night.

Any thoughts? 54,000 miles on the clock; just had front rotors and pads replaced (clutch and master/slave cylinders too). And the DI was replaced about 2000 miles back (hell of a month or two...). The serp. belt and pulleys look fine.

As for any "sludge" theory, oil & filter changed every 4000 miles; synthetic-blend 5W-30.

Thanks in advance and best wishes to all (especially our friends in London).

Reply to
J. Harris

Is the oil not specified as 0W-40?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

No; 5W-30 full synthetic or blended synthetic is specified. And FWIW, the noise is an A/C compressor about to die (pully wheel loose and rattling each time compressor runs. Time for an Audi/BWM/Acura...

Jack

Reply to
J. Harris