'88 Legend Coupe lower ball joints

Hello all,

I've had my '88 2dr 5spd for 7 years now and have done almost all my own work on it. I don't have much experience with suspension work, however, and now it's time to dive in. I need to replace the front axles, and I figure I might do the shocks since I'm in there already. (They don't seem too bad, but they are original.)

Anyhow, I'm having trouble separating the ball joints from the lower arm. These were replaced a couple of years ago, so I'm trying not to trash them. The shop manual talks about a gear puller on lugs on the arm, but they always seem to slip off. I also tried a puller with the arms seated on the top of the arm, outside the boot. But it's very difficult to keep the puller straight, and it still seems to pull off at the slightest provokation. I got frightened I was going to tear some parts up in a serious way trying this method.

Seems like maybe a lever type ball joint remover might do the trick, but the biggest jaws on these seem to be about 22mm. Using a caliper, I found that the smallest jaw that would fit easily without forcing it under the boot is about 30mm. I'm a bit afraid to try to ram anything under that boot! Also I hear about various ways to separate the works with creative use of a hammer, but this seems dubious when separating good parts.

I know this can't be that impossible, so obviously I'm just missing the secret trick. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Biggs

This style of puller always seems to work well for me.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Ryan Biggs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I already replied to this identical message in alt.autos.acura. Please learn to cross-post properly.

Here's the link I offered there:

TeGGeR®

Reply to
Ryan Biggs

Here's another link for the same thing,

I boughtmine off of a Snap-On truck for about $60 but that was at least 10 yearsago.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Ryan Biggs" wrote

The easy method requires the ball joint puller posted by the other guys. But if you're really determined, the hammer trick or the gear puller is reserved for the pro. Fit the three jaw gear puller with correct size and once you have it nice and tug, you can tie the gear puller arm with a tie so they won't fall off. Continually, make sure it's not about to fall off. Once you get enough pressure you can remove the tie. The gear puller won't damage the boot and make sure to leave the castle nut partway in there.

However, there is another trick which requires no tool at all. I won't post it since it might start a flame. It was discovered by accident. Works on some cars, no consequential damage.

And there is another which require a jack and ratchet documented on video. This trick will also get you a flame. I don't see any potential collateral damage with this trick, but would like to see the evidence of damage.

-- This message won't repeated on the other forum.

Reply to
Burt

"Burt" wrote in news:nr5Wf.63737$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Would you be willing to email me privately with that method?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote

...yes, I'd just emailed. Of course, you will need to loosen the bolt for this trick to work.

Reply to
Burt

"Burt" wrote in news:WnkWf.60306$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Got the email. Now go check yours. :)