VW T1 Ball Joints Lower ???

Dear All,

i find there are 2 differents lower ball joint for my beetle. one is punch from the top and the other one is assembled through bottom.

1/can i fit either one? 2/can they interchange?

thanks for your help Godzilla 1500cc 1970 Beetle

Reply to
yellow godzilla

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I mean just the lower ball joint, i find there are 2 types. 2 different assembling construction. but it seems interchanged.

one is punch from top and the other through from the bottom.

thanks Y.Godzilla

"Gary" ??? news:cCT5b.35881$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net ???...

Reply to
yellow godzilla

I just replaced my ball joints, and the bottoms should both go in the same way. As for the direction, I will have to look at mine to say for sure.

OK, I just went to my page and looked at the lower control arm and the ball joint should install from the bottom up through the arm.

Look at the pics where I am removing the sway bar clips and you can see the ball joint up close. The lower ball joint was the biggest PITA to press out and back in.

Reply to
TerryB

Thanks Terry,

it is bottom up through the arm. Now i just dun get it why i order from CLP1 amd mentioned lower ball joint and they shipped me mounted from top. Now i am just wondering whether i could still fit this one in or i have to re-order it. Just wonder whether they are function the same.

Y.Godzilla

"TerryB" ¦b¶l¥ó news:bja1hr$h0ek9$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-46955.news.uni-berlin.de ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Reply to
yellow godzilla

After looking in few books and at mine, There seem to be two versions. on my car they are pressed in from the top. and in one book I have states this/ and the problem with them unseating in offroad use. but in another book, with an exploded veiw, it shows them pressed from the bottom. Pressed from the bottom is a better deal because it helps keep the joint in its seat better. VW might have made a change in the later years, my current arms are off a 68' but my last set on the car was roughly 72-73' and those I rember pressing from the bottom (but I can't remeber what the OG ones I pressed out were). As far as I know, the arms never changed though. Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

I have a 75' and a 69" beam and they are the same on both. Top arms press in from the bottom and the bottom ones press in by passing boot side of joint through arm first. I had mine pressed in and had to exhibit this to the press operator. BTW the top joint's housing is smaller so they can only go in the top arm.

Reply to
69 ground up