95 Accord Heater question

    95 Accord LX. Owned in family since new. 110,000 miles on it now.     Having problem with the temperature control knob. Knob is not cracked
like has happened six times on my '92 Accord. Normal sweep of control knob is from cold at nine o'clock position to full hot at 3 o'clock. Knob now only able to rotate from about ten thirty position to one thirty. Knob will move past these spots, but will rebound on it's own.     Disconnected the hot water valve control cable at the valve, and valve operates fully and easily. Cable seams to move a door or something on or in the heater box under the dash as well as the water valve.     I don't think the problem is with the cable, but has something to do with the door functions at the heater box.     Am I on the right track? Has anyone been there before and do you have any ideas? bob

That was the story on my daughter's '93. Apparently the valve had been stubborn enough to get the cables out of whack in the heater box. Pulling the cover off the side (near the passenger's left foot, comes off and goes back on easily) revealed all the workings. Knowing that the cables are adjusted by reclamping the housings, it is all pretty obvious.
Mike
N.E.Ohio Bob wrote:

as mike says, a cable's been mispositioned. go underneath the console to the foot wells and make sure all the cable have full travel at each end of their dials. one of mine kept slipping [i kept kicking it] until i cable-tied it into a slightly different route from factory. now all is well. simple d.i.y. fix.
N.E.Ohio Bob wrote:

======================================= You are on the right track, as others have said. _IF_ you find that any cables are binding, use LockEase (graphite) rather than anything dino-based. It won't gum up in the cold. Cables are best left alone, but our first Odyssey needed lube. Drop the blower motor too (unplug connector, remove three screws) and use compressed air while you're under there. The cover on the lower end of the motor comes off with two screws and you can blow about 1/2 ounce of carbon dust from the brushes area, which will help the motor run cooler, longer. Don't oil the motor unless you know what you're doing. There are pictures of the heat 'mixer box' (I think that's it's name) on the web. I used to have it. . . . Same as '95 Odyssey I'm sure. www.slhondaparts.com has exploded views and part numbers.
'Curly'
    Thank you to all who posted. I'll have a go at it tomorow. Weather here is unseasonably warm. Will be a nice way to spend some time outdoors. bob